Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

engine sluggish

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jdog468, Feb 11, 2009.

1. jdog468

jdog468 New Member

I have a 2000 3/4 ton crew cab with the 5.7 engine. Sometimes the truck will be sluggish when I first start it and take off, it will stumble once or twice then it will run and perform normal for a period of time.It dosent do this all the time, the check engine light dosent come on, the truck has 141k miles on it and is 100% stock. The plugs wires cap rotor were replaced at 100k miles, I've also replaced the fuel pump and filter recently (pump went out). Has anyone else had this problem or know what may be causing this? I am guessing it could be the fuel pressure regulator but havent done any test to confirm this.

2. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Have you tried some good ole Sea Foam yet?

[​IMG]

3. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have heard great things about seafoam. :great:

4. zachh1020

zachh1020 Rockstar 100 Posts

Have they stopped making Sea Foam? I cant find it at Auto Zone anymore.

5. jdog468

jdog468 New Member

Im a big believer in sea foam, this is one of the first things that I tried.

6. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Its almost $9 a can at Advance auto now BUT you can get it for about $6 at Wal Mart!

Hmmm so you tried the sea foam hmm how is the exhaust is it flowing good at idle a plugged cat will make it breath harder.

7. jdog468

jdog468 New Member

I havent checked the exaust flow at idle but it seems to perform perfect at all other engine speeds including towing and 90% of the time it will not be sluggish when taking off, its a intermintent problem that im afraid that will decide to get worst at a time when its inconvenient for me. Thanks for your suggestion I will check my exaust flow at idle and repost.

8. jlsparky7

jlsparky7 Rockstar

Might wanna look into the coolant temp sensor. It makes the mixture rich until the engine warms up. If its not working properly it could throw off the air/fuel mix at start up. Some people say the coolant temp sensor is the most important sensor when it comes to gas mileage.

9. lmin2

lmin2 New Member

2000 suburban 1500 5.3l...I had the same problem for a long time.(almost 3 years) Was told by GM dealer it was a fuel pump...Fuel pressure regulator showed none of the normal symptoms. Finally I took a chance and change it ( $45.00-Autozone) and my suburban runs like a new truck now..

10. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

you need to check your fuel pressure and then fuel trim and see whats going on. If you can get iac counts too that would be good

more than likely your intake is clogged with carbon. dont waste your cash on the junk at the part stores, get an intake/injector clean done the rite way with the rite chemicals (bg is the best ive been around so far)