1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine smoke

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by dw6171624, Nov 28, 2013.

1. dw6171624

dw6171624 Member

Hey guys so was drivin my 90 burban and started to smell burnt oil and heard slight knock. Anything i should check before i pull motor and anyone know of a cheap replacement thanks
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You smell it under the hood or or the pipes? How many miles on the engine and does it leak and/or burn oil?
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

As [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION] is saying, usually when you smell oil burning, you have an oil leak.

So, before you pull the engine, lift the hood and look for an oil leak.

If you hear a knock, it is probably because the oil level is low.

Find the leak, fix it and top up the oil and you may be good to go.
  4. dw6171624

dw6171624 Member

Well now thikin the knock is myabe a ujoint it wont do it not moving so that a relief i do have the oil filter housing thats leaking and oil is good ill check it out tommorow
  5. dw6171624

dw6171624 Member

It has 211000 but runs great the reason why i say rings are shot is the smoke from ehaust
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

That is usually a sign of worn valve guide seals, not rings.