Engine stalls while driving, fails to start, then is OK

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by punkieys17, Mar 14, 2014.

1. punkieys17

punkieys17 New Member

2003 5.3 1500LT 'burb. a year gao we came back from holiday and the car would not start - it turned over and tried to start (some ignition but would not pick up to an idle). Replaced the fuel filter - no avail, then added 2 gallons of fuel and it started. Recently the car has started to stall while driving - especially if accelerating. The car acts like its being starved of fuel. Today it let me down 4 times (!) with a loss of power while driving. Pulled up at the side of the road, starting would give a very lumpy idle at well below normal idle RPM and then it just dies. After 5 to 10 minutes the car starts normally and I pull away. The scan tool says P0336B (crankshaft position sensor) and P0706 (gear selector range error). I'm pretty sure in my mind the P0706 is not related as I'm in D when driving - so a slight misalignment would result in N or 3 - neither of which would lead to a stall.

Has anyone had a similar problem please. Reading the forums it could be either a fault building in the cranksahft position sensor (forgot to mention even when the engine loses power while driving the tachometer is reading the weirdly low RPM) or a fuel pump problem (either internal or it could be problems with a corroded connector).

Any thoughts how i can narrow down the fault. i do have access to a range of scanners/diagnotics but they only helpso far..

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

if you have access to a range of scanners then I would do a crank position sensor relearn. Then I would put a fuel pressure tester on the fuel rail and see what you have.