engine stalls

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gregk, Jun 27, 2008.

1. gregk

gregk New Member

i have an 02 suburban lt - automatic - wisconsin assembly?
    210,000 miles
    moved out to the west coast from the midwest -
    vehicle has power but not like it did -

cruising at 50-70 mph - whether going up hill or on level roadway the vehicle gasps and then rpms drop - if you accellerate the engine is "starved" of fuel and rpms drop to 500 and less and dies out -

after letting the vehicle sit for 2-10 minutes you can restart it and continue on as if nothing happened - it may repeat this scenario or run just fine -

any comments will be appreciated -

greg

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Probably the first thing I'd do would be to put a scanner on it. Even if the SES didn't come on, there may be pending codes that would indicate where to start.

The other thing I might do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and rig it up so I can drive with it. Then you should be able to see if it is indeed a case of being starved for fuel.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Change the in line fuel filter. It is cheap- maybe $23 from a chevy dealer, and you might get lucky.It is a cheap fix, and never a bad idea for an old high mile vehicle.

On my 1998 is is along the frame rail no the drivers side - I think. It is possible it is on the other side, but easy to get to.

Charlie