Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

engine stalls

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gregk, Jun 27, 2008.

1. gregk

gregk New Member

i have an 02 suburban lt - automatic - wisconsin assembly?
    210,000 miles
    moved out to the west coast from the midwest -
    vehicle has power but not like it did -

cruising at 50-70 mph - whether going up hill or on level roadway the vehicle gasps and then rpms drop - if you accellerate the engine is "starved" of fuel and rpms drop to 500 and less and dies out -

after letting the vehicle sit for 2-10 minutes you can restart it and continue on as if nothing happened - it may repeat this scenario or run just fine -

any comments will be appreciated -

greg

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Probably the first thing I'd do would be to put a scanner on it. Even if the SES didn't come on, there may be pending codes that would indicate where to start.

The other thing I might do would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and rig it up so I can drive with it. Then you should be able to see if it is indeed a case of being starved for fuel.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Change the in line fuel filter. It is cheap- maybe $23 from a chevy dealer, and you might get lucky.It is a cheap fix, and never a bad idea for an old high mile vehicle.

On my 1998 is is along the frame rail no the drivers side - I think. It is possible it is on the other side, but easy to get to.

Charlie