Engine Swap for 99 Suburban

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by MT ID, Jun 3, 2008.

1. MT ID

MT ID New Member

Looking for feedback on engine swaps for my 99 Suburban K2500. It currently has 93K miles on on the 7.4L and is beginning to show its age. I am looking to get more power and equal or better gas mileage. I have considered the 8.1L but not sure how difficult that swap would be. Also considered a 502 or 454 crate motor from Scoggins Dickey or GM. Big thing is I want it to work when I am done so nothing tempermental or too techy. Thanks for the feedback.

Travis

2. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i am not sure where you are located but som smog laws may screw you with a motor sawp. you can "Cheat the system with the 502 or 572 as it looks just like the 454 which is installed. I put the 750hp/502 crate motor in my motorhome and it flys and i do not feel the 24' boat being towed, i had to let off the gas on the grape vine i was pushing 70 and not floored. i been getting 15MPG i been very happy. it been 5 years now.
    [​IMG]
    i do not have any good motor pics....i fix that soon. i just ordered the Doug Thorly tri-Y headers....this is going to be a big beast.....lol
    mike

3. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

what do you mean showing age? like is it just losing compression? I have the same engine and when I take the intake off I was thinking about doing a head job and since Im going to be that far I was thinking about piston rings also.. you could just go that route

4. MT ID

MT ID New Member

No issues with smog so 502 is an option.

5. MT ID

MT ID New Member

Lacking power I think it should have. A bit of stumbling on occasion. Eating a bit of oil as well.

6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the 502 is a straight drop in, even for the 1/2 ton it was made and engineered by gm to be specifically that, no tranny or rearend upgrades needed, as for the 8.1 that would need a new computer at the least as it is part of a whole different engine family and management system then the old small blocks not to mention that many people withthe 8.1 dont get any better performance then the 6.0 in a HD, my uncle hated the big block in his.

7. MT ID

MT ID New Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'll check into the 502 route.