Engine swap on a 2001 silverado

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 01 casper, Jun 30, 2010.

1. 01 casper

01 casper New Member

I am wanting to do a engine swap from a 4.8 to a 6.0 will I have any problems?

2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Besides a problem with cost because a new motor and computer costs alot, a 6.0 wont bolt up to a 4l60e tranny as far as I know. They do bolt right up to a 4l80e tho.

3. 01 casper

01 casper New Member

wow I need to look into which tranny I have. Thanks

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 4l60e will bolt up not problem. You will need the flywheel off the 6.0. I don't believe the 5.3's flywheel will bolt up to the 6.0. Other than the obvious things like the 6.0's wiring harness, intake, exhaust, you will have to get a tune for the engine and trans to work properly together without any trouble codes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  5. 01 casper

01 casper New Member

will the wiring harness from the 4.8 work on the 6.0 as in the injectors mas and so on? And yea I know about having the computer flashed so it will work with the 6.0 I already have someone lined up for that.

6. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't know if the harnesses with interchange. I don't believe they will, but don't hold me to it. You best bet is to call a good custom shop and ask them. But the easiest thing to do is to make sure the motor you buy comes with the harness.

7. 01 casper

01 casper New Member

ok thanks for the info.