1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine swap question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 1985 C-10, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 1985 C-10

1985 C-10 New Member

I have a 1985 c-10 2wd with a 4.3l v6 4bbl and a th400 long bed.

I want to put a purchased 1989 5.7l TBI engine from a 1 ton truck into my C-10.

My intention is to convert the TBI to 4bbl and put an HEI distributor in it.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to what manifold/carb combo will work?

Do I have to change the distributor drive gear for a softer one since the TBI motor is a roller motor?

Am I missing any potential issues with this swap?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

As to the manifold/carb combo, a quick and easy combo is the Edelbrock 1406 carb and 2101 intake manifold. The calibration kit you need for the carb is #1487, but I can't swear to that.
    On the distributor shaft gear, yes, absolutely get a bronze gear. They're cheap and readily available.
    One more issue you may run into is your torque converter. It might be a good idea to switch that over to a bit more heavy-duty model. Some of the 4.3's use a smaller converter.
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just a reminder, that you won't have a mounting location on the 5.7 block for the mechanical fuel pump, since that block was intended for TBI. You'll need to get an external fuel pump made for feeding a carb.