Engine swap question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 1985 C-10, Feb 2, 2010.

1. 1985 C-10

1985 C-10 New Member

I have a 1985 c-10 2wd with a 4.3l v6 4bbl and a th400 long bed.

I want to put a purchased 1989 5.7l TBI engine from a 1 ton truck into my C-10.

My intention is to convert the TBI to 4bbl and put an HEI distributor in it.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to what manifold/carb combo will work?

Do I have to change the distributor drive gear for a softer one since the TBI motor is a roller motor?

Am I missing any potential issues with this swap?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

As to the manifold/carb combo, a quick and easy combo is the Edelbrock 1406 carb and 2101 intake manifold. The calibration kit you need for the carb is #1487, but I can't swear to that.
    On the distributor shaft gear, yes, absolutely get a bronze gear. They're cheap and readily available.
    One more issue you may run into is your torque converter. It might be a good idea to switch that over to a bit more heavy-duty model. Some of the 4.3's use a smaller converter.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just a reminder, that you won't have a mounting location on the 5.7 block for the mechanical fuel pump, since that block was intended for TBI. You'll need to get an external fuel pump made for feeding a carb.