1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Engine swap to LT1?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by erikshunn44, Jan 11, 2011.

1. erikshunn44

erikshunn44 New Member

So this is strictly hypothetical at this point, but I wanted to run it past some of the gurus here.

The 350 TBI in my 1989 Suburban has bitten the proverbial dust. I just happen to have access to an LT1 that was originally in a 1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon. The wagon has the 4L60-E auto trans which (if I'm not mistaken) is basically the 700R4 (which is currently in the Suburban). Is this possible? Will the bolt pattern match?

I really want to keep the 'burban on the road seeing as I rebuilt the trans and entire front end, and I love that old truck.

Thanks in advance!

2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

No, the 700 R 4 is actually the 4L 80 E..as far as i know.
    I think the 60 E would be the electronic version of the turbo 400 ???

Also, i recoment to stick a turbo diesel in there !!!

3. erikshunn44

erikshunn44 New Member

Man, if I had a turbo diesel sitting around...that would be my first choice!

4. DAREDEVIL

I have a couple..lol

5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Erik, You are correct. The 4L60E is the remake of the 700R4, so disregard what Scott (DD) said. He's just a diesel boy so he's not expected to know much :rofl: ha ha ha

6. erikshunn44

erikshunn44 New Member

According to my research, they are the same transmission. Apparently plenty of people have tried this before...in fact the older LT1's were bolted onto 700r4's. So I'm giving this a shot this weekend!

7. DAREDEVIL

then what is a 4L80 E ??? mmmmhhhh

8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

That info is on a "need to know basis" Scott, & you don't need to know lol. The 4L60E is the new & improved electronic version of the 700R4 & that's the one Eriks asking about, not the 4L80E.

9. sgtsjj

sgtsjj Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

X2 on what stephan said and good luck with the swap

10. erikshunn44

erikshunn44 New Member

UPDATE! So I fell in love with the LT1 donor car (a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon). I've been driving it around non-stop, it's a beast and my kids absolutely love it! However, I found out today that it wont pass smog inspection...so the swap is back on! Gonna do a rebuild before it goes in the 'burban. Anyone have any suggestions on bolt-on performance stuff for the LT1?