1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Swap V6 to V8 How To ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by SilverTruck04, Aug 25, 2009.

1. SilverTruck04

SilverTruck04 New Member

Alrighty guys :rofl: lets talk engine swap. I love and i mean love chevy trucks and I had a 88 CK1500 single cab short bed as my first car. That thing had a 5.7l 350 a throtle body spacer .40 series true dual flow and that thing hauled. I useto take it to the 1/8 mile and do 11sec. Anyways I love that truck but now my bro got it. So for my 18 bday I got a 2004 Silverado V6 :no: I knew I didnt want a V6 but at the time my pockets could not afford a V8 but know Im all grown up and ready and willing to do a engine swap :great:. Now I know the basics to a truck change oil here, new filter there, spark plug change ya di ya da. . . But is it at all possible for me myself to pull this off. Is there any books, sites, past posts that I can look at for reference. And lets talk hard ware what do I knew specific body parts please. I know I probably need a new engine:lol:, I was hoping to be able to pull one of a wreck at the local scrap yard. I looking for V8 Vortec 5300 (5.3L) which is what I think will be the easiest to install. Or my my dream a true SS engine 6.0L baby :great:. But what else, My boss said i need a new computer and can I use my current trany? Also lets try to keep cost down I dont want to go over 1,000 or 2,000 tops. If it helps my truck has less then 58,000k and I was hoping to sell the V6 after the swap. So cmon chevy gurus elighthen me :lol:
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Go to the write up section, there is a guy that swapped a SBC into the same truck you have, this guy went all out but it can still help you, but yes you will need the computer from the doner vehicle.
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

4. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

nice link vncj.I didnt get any pics of my swap 5.7-7.4 but i did have the donor truck that was within 1 year my swap went like glass changed thr.cables fuel lines,harness,on my truck they added a plate to the t.case crossmemberfor the shorter4l60 that i unriveted and my 4l80 mount went right in other than that it was all bolt up DONOR trucks save money on all that little stuff highly recommend