engine swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by peabody_80, Apr 25, 2009.

1. peabody_80

peabody_80 New Member

Hello: Harvey form Dallas, Tx., i have a 1994 1/2 ton pu, GMC with a 5.7 liter engine, i want to swap it out with a 2000 chevy 5.3 liter engine& tranny,1/2 ton also, i have the complete truck with engine and wiring harness, how much trouble, with this swap be.

2. r.barn

r.barn New Member

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd have to ask why you want this swap?
    For the trouble it'll take you wont be making a big difference in horsepower or mileage.
    If its because the old engine package is high mileage you might want to look at City Motors in Dallas for a remanufactured engine/trans, unless your getting the new eng/trans real cheap they may have a better deal for you on remanufactured.

4. r.barn

r.barn New Member

The Gen-III motors are about 1,000,000 % better engine than the old Small Block Chevy.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've already run into issues with Gen III motors and I cant say I share your opinion. Besides theres still many more parts available for hot rodding small blocks than there are Gen III's.
    And again the expense of a replacement Gen III is still high so you have to get a good price to make the swap worth while.

6. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like a good swap to me:great:I have always been a fan of the old GM 327,350,383...but now that I have a 323 5.3liter I will never ever go back