1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by peabody_80, Apr 25, 2009.

1. peabody_80

peabody_80 New Member

Hello: Harvey form Dallas, Tx., i have a 1994 1/2 ton pu, GMC with a 5.7 liter engine, i want to swap it out with a 2000 chevy 5.3 liter engine& tranny,1/2 ton also, i have the complete truck with engine and wiring harness, how much trouble, with this swap be.
  2. r.barn

r.barn New Member

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd have to ask why you want this swap?
    For the trouble it'll take you wont be making a big difference in horsepower or mileage.
    If its because the old engine package is high mileage you might want to look at City Motors in Dallas for a remanufactured engine/trans, unless your getting the new eng/trans real cheap they may have a better deal for you on remanufactured.
  4. r.barn

r.barn New Member

The Gen-III motors are about 1,000,000 % better engine than the old Small Block Chevy.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've already run into issues with Gen III motors and I cant say I share your opinion. Besides theres still many more parts available for hot rodding small blocks than there are Gen III's.
    And again the expense of a replacement Gen III is still high so you have to get a good price to make the swap worth while.
  6. Z-71

Z-71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like a good swap to me:great:I have always been a fan of the old GM 327,350,383...but now that I have a 323 5.3liter I will never ever go back