engine swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by dboii313, May 2, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. dboii313

dboii313 New Member

What's the easiest engine swap for my 97 suburban?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What are you looking to gain?
    A little insight to what you are trying to achieve would help in giving you some pointers.
  3. dboii313

dboii313 New Member

Looking to get a little more power, I have a 5.7 vortec with 170,000 on it and it's a 4x4. My main goal is a little more power without dropping in a 454. I'm new to this could u give me some help and pointers please, thanx
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

GM makes a great line of crate replacement engines that have warranties.

Theres a couple 350's that make a more HP than your present 350 and a 383 that has quite a bit more giddy up. All these engines are drop in replacements for your present engine and require no major changes to your wiring harness, exhaust, transmission, or computer system to run.
    The base engine can be found around $2000 and a top of the line engine around $5000, these prices vary a little depending on where you shop.
    Keep in mind if your gonna increase HP you might want to price out a new transmission also, with a 170K on your transmission its tired also, and a rebuild for the transfer case could be a year or two away with the increased output.

Google GM replacement engines and start searching through the sites, I got around 250K hits.
  5. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Go with the HT383 it was a DIRECT replacement for the trucks with the 5.7 vortec, no messing with the computer, tranny, or rear end. It was specifically designed for this aplication as the computer will adapt to the new engine, even all the components directly swap over to the 383.
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

LIKE VNJ96 and tbplus10 say-go 383e. I have a 1998 1500 Suburban-209,700 miles-and my mouth waters when I eyeball the GM Performance 383E.
    Pace has the best price-$4620- with a new distributor, water pump, plugs, gaskets, plugs. plug wires etc.
    Others have it for maybe $200 less, but they don't add the new distributor,wires water pump etc-at least $600 worth of parts. It requires some sort of "melonized??" distributor gear that comes with the new dist.
    Not sure what a MELONIZED gear is-guess it is some sort of tougher treated steel???

Delivered to your door(curb) with a drop gate it is about $150+ $4620- a HUGE bargain with a warranty-
    It has a forged crank-stocker has some lesser iron crank- it also has 4 bolt main bearing, not the more flexy 2 bolts of the stockers.

Luck, Charlie
  7. dboii313

dboii313 New Member

Thanx fellas that was very helpful I'll let uknow what I come up with.