1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by sdrewes72, Mar 25, 2007.

1. sdrewes72

sdrewes72 New Member

ok i have a question im looking for a chevy truck 305 with a 5 spd but i want to get rid of the 305 and upgrade to a 350 will that work with the stock trans, i would think it would work but i dont know if the 305 is a 4 bolt main engine
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard, I not so sure I completely understand but yes a 350 does bolt to the same bell housing. As far as I know the 305 was only 2 bolt mains. What year of truck are we talking about?
  3. Cableguy

I assisted at race tracks when I was in my 20's helped build a few cars and I can tell you I seen more spun 4 bolts then 2 bolt main 350's. So in your search for 350 don't be to quick to toss aside a 2 bolt main. I made plenty of passes in my 1/2 ton (13.02 at 105 MPH) with a very respectable 60' time. Never broke it.
  4. sdrewes72

sdrewes72 New Member

i was looking at 1996's-1998's oh and u said your truck ran 13's thats cool, what all did u do to it..i dont want to build a drag truck but i want atleast about 325hp or so,
    thanks for the adivce on the 2 bolt mains i would have passed on that ill have to look into that. also do u know if chevy ever produced a c1500 silverado with at 5.7 and a 5spd i have seen them but dont know if they were factory or not
  5. Cableguy

GM did indeed produce these but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one. (A buddy of mine had one built from Oshawa plant) 5.7 and 5 spd that is.
    BTW I put 3:73 posi in 12 bolt, custom ladder bars/pan hard bar, 350 turbo tranny reworked (manual valve body), quick silver bump shifter on floor,3500 stall converter, 350 2 bolt mains, street dominator(spread bore intake), 750 cfm holley (double pump double feed), 3" spacer, Big lumpy cam, Block/crank balanced, Keith Black 10.5:1 flat tops and 202 300HP heads (ported/polished) I never got it out of 13's because I had weight transfer of a school bus. Far to heavy :lol: It was slammed to the point of 2" clearance between road and lower control arms.
  6. BlackBetty350

BlackBetty350 New Member

if you read my signature it tells all. i had a 305 in it before but i blew it. the crate motor is a 1970 and the swap was simple. all the wires that were originally in the truck are garbage now. i left the stock trans. it bolted right up. if your looking at doing the swap you might want to beef up the tranny if its an auto. i have gone throught at least four 700r4's. i can take a trans out in my sleep. lol i even had one built with heavy duty clutches and a shift kit. $700 down the tube. that one blew too.