Engine Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 07silverado07, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 07silverado07

07silverado07 New Member

I have an 07 classic with the 4.8 in it, is it possible to swap the 4.8 out and put a 5.3 in? Ive heard the blocks are the same, but wouldnt i need the wiring harness and computer to run the 5.3?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

U would need the ECU or a custom tune.. wiring is the same for the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L.
    1 person likes this.
  3. 07silverado07

07silverado07 New Member

basically this is a direct bolt in then? im trying to find out as much as i can cause im thinking about buying a 5.3 and modifying the engine. im not sure if i want to stroke the engine or just bore it over.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Basic bolt in yep.. same tranny, and motor mounts. And plugs for the wiring. With a modified motor you will want a custom tune either way.
  5. 07silverado07

07silverado07 New Member

i knew if i get the ecu for the 5.3 i still would have to get a custom tune since i was going to modify the motor. ive also heard the 6.0 would be a bolt up too, but i want to take a smaller displacement motor and build it.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Well the 5.3L is the way to go, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for it. And why not just build you 4.8L up as much as possible then go with forced induction for another 40-50% power increase???
  7. 07silverado07

07silverado07 New Member

i still want to drive the truck while i build the motor, its basically my only transportation at this moment. i have thought about building a 4.8 but its hard to find peformance parts for it.
  8. If you go to far with the 5.3 power than you need to make the tranny more durable. If its a daily driver I would bore it, balance and blue print and add a nice mild street cam. Call CompCams after you decide what you are going to build and let them recommend a cam. Add header,exhaust and CAI and tune and it will be a good reliable dailey driver. Make sure you use the best machine shop you can fined for your machine work. I have a friend in Florida that did this to his 06 5.3 and its a really nice driver. He took it on several long trips and said it got good gas mileage and had good power when he needed it.