1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 07silverado07, Jul 18, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 07silverado07

07silverado07 New Member 100 Posts

I have an 07 classic with the 4.8 in it, is it possible to swap the 4.8 out and put a 5.3 in? Ive heard the blocks are the same, but wouldnt i need the wiring harness and computer to run the 5.3?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

U would need the ECU or a custom tune.. wiring is the same for the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L.
    1 person likes this.
  3. 07silverado07

basically this is a direct bolt in then? im trying to find out as much as i can cause im thinking about buying a 5.3 and modifying the engine. im not sure if i want to stroke the engine or just bore it over.
  4. murdog94

Basic bolt in yep.. same tranny, and motor mounts. And plugs for the wiring. With a modified motor you will want a custom tune either way.
  5. 07silverado07

i knew if i get the ecu for the 5.3 i still would have to get a custom tune since i was going to modify the motor. ive also heard the 6.0 would be a bolt up too, but i want to take a smaller displacement motor and build it.
  6. murdog94

Well the 5.3L is the way to go, there are a lot of aftermarket parts available for it. And why not just build you 4.8L up as much as possible then go with forced induction for another 40-50% power increase???
  7. 07silverado07

i still want to drive the truck while i build the motor, its basically my only transportation at this moment. i have thought about building a 4.8 but its hard to find peformance parts for it.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you go to far with the 5.3 power than you need to make the tranny more durable. If its a daily driver I would bore it, balance and blue print and add a nice mild street cam. Call CompCams after you decide what you are going to build and let them recommend a cam. Add header,exhaust and CAI and tune and it will be a good reliable dailey driver. Make sure you use the best machine shop you can fined for your machine work. I have a friend in Florida that did this to his 06 5.3 and its a really nice driver. He took it on several long trips and said it got good gas mileage and had good power when he needed it.