1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jarrett, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Rockstar 100 Posts

I was thinking about doing an engine swap in my truck. I have a 5.0 Vortec right now. I was thinking about swapping it for a mildly built 5.7. Has anyone done this before? Can this be done in this truck, with the ECU, and what would I have to do to my ECU to make it work right?
  2. rustyk2

rustyk2 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Should be fairly strait foreward, same block, everything will line up, just might need a re-tune on the ecu or get one from a 350.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

as long as you maintain a stock outward 5.7L vortec (meaning sensors etc) then it is a plug and play affair! And yes depending on how built you go you will need a custom tune, if you go with a stock or close to stock 5.7L then you will just need a 5.7L ECU for a manual tranny.
  4. Jarrett

I was also thinking about putting an LS motor from a newer model truck in, what would be the best way to go?
  5. lildino383

lildino383 New Member

The iron block 6.0L is practically indestructible and easy to modify. Obviously, you'll need the electronics for it (ECU, harness, etc.) and you will also either need a trans adapter plate to mount to your trans, or a trans from the donor vehicle to match. Also, the engine mounts need to be changed. If you plan it all out ahead of time, it may seem like a lot of work and time, but is worth it. This is the new way to go. Good luck with your decision!
  6. Jarrett

I thought about the 6.0 but I'm not real sure about what I would like to do yet. There are too many options.
  7. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

you can swap between a 5.0 and a 5.7 and its a direct swap, no new ECU or anything like that...however if you swap to a newer engine, like the LS or the 6.0 you will have to swap some stuff out, one of these days I'm going to ditch the fuel injection all together and go with a carb 427 or bigger...I would really love an engine from sonny racing, or the GM performance 572 :money::money:
  8. Jarrett

I know what you mean. I would like to do the same thing. I want a gas motor that will blow all the other trucks away in my town. Everyone in my town wants a Diesel truck, and I'm in the minority and want a gas truck that will beat them. Everyone says it can't be done, but I'll show them.
  9. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Haha yeah same here! I've got the 6.0 in my truck and either wanted to put a blower on it or a turbo kit. I would really love to see the diesel guys faces haha
  10. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

GM performance makes a 383 Vortec stroker that is a drop in replacement for the 96-99 5.7's- probably is drop in for your 5.0 also.
    It is 340 hp 435 lb/ft- roughly $4700 delivered curbside by various online GM dealers.

If you attempt to "build your own motor" it will actually be a lot more expensive than you think, and it won't have any warranty.
    Speed is expensive and reliable speed/performance is even more expensive.
    $4700 is actually cheap for maybe 120 hp increase(what does a 5.0 make- 220 hp maybe??).

Those diesel trucks can make BIG NUMBERS- huge increases in torque and very large HP increases- BUT THEY GENERALLY REV kinda slowly, and they can absolutely overwhelm their tires. 340 and 435 are very good numbers( people/companies always lie about HP/TQ-these are actually honest numbers-not quite what you would see at the rear wheels- but within 10%-15% probably)

You would maybe get 7 second 0-60 in a 5000 lb truck with this motor.
    Now change your rear end-and front end if it is 4x4-and you will accelerate even faster-assuming fat sticky tires- shorter tires act just like a shorter rear end-poor mans ring gear..
    Oh, this motor will probably break your transmission if it is stock-but so will anything making 435 lb ft.
    GM Performance is a good way to go for reliability and ease of installation-they know SBCs

Luck-sounds like fun.
    Charlie