1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by JLNelsen, Jan 16, 2011.

1. JLNelsen

JLNelsen New Member

I own a 98 chevy 1500 and I am thinking about doing an engine swap to a 04 or 05 GMC serria Vortec 350 which includes the motor, transmission, transfer case and computer. I am looking for and advice or info anyone can give me about this and what I can expect if I do this swap or if it is even possible. Also some advice on swaping out the drivers and passangers seat from an 04 or 05 serria to my 98 1500. any help or advice would be apprciated, thank you and have a good day.
  2. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

just wondering why u don't consider a Diesel swap to a 6.5 TD ? gives u better milage and more power..oh and is way cheaper !
  3. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

By 04 and 05 I dont believe they put 350's in the trucks anymore. Its either a 5.3 or 6.0. Anywho, anything is possible if you have the time and money.
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Like others said- it will be much easier to use a 96-99 5.7 vortec instead of the 5.3.
    The 5.7 would be a bolt in.

It would be neat to see how a diesel would work.
    Charlie
  5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey JL I think you're going to need the wiring harness as well as the ECM from the donor vehicle. There were a lot of wireing changes to the Vortec & you don't want to be adding one wire at a time to your harness to make it work. Like the others said it would be an easier swap to go with a diesel if you want to upgrade. As for your que about the seats, it's best just to check mounting points & see for yourself. Even though the mounting points might require minor modifications it should be doable.
  6. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

unless you are doing an upgrade to power seats they should swap out easily but you may want to double check the mounting for them because i believe either the front or back outside mount is a little off from a 98 might have to do a little forcibile customizing to get it to shoe horn in there properly, as for the motor unless it is a 6.0 v8 I would just go back with another 5.7 from the 90's you won't be doing yourself any favors just because it's newer putting a 5.3 V8 in your truck. less power and a lot more headaches because as someone else pointed out some of the wiring on the harness is different than your 98. I've only had 5.7's since 1990 myself and i LOVE that motor, dependable as the day is long no matter how hard you work it. the transmissions however i believe are the same i think the 04/05 transmission is still the 4L60 transmission you may want to double check that before taking that leap too though.

going from a 5.7 to a 5.3 you'll have mount trouble first off as they mount up differently but nothing an arc welder and a cutting torch can't fix right? it's all in how much time and money you have to do this swap though, if you just want something to drop in and bolt right up stick with a lower miles 5.7 if you have time and money to pour into it then knock yourself out with the 5.3 or 6.0 but remember what's been said about the wiring. you can also buy an after market harness that will bolt right up and not have to worry about going wire by wire double checking everything.