1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine temperature too low?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Mar 5, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Just wondering...

For as long as I can remember My truck runs right at 185 degrees.. highway,city, you name it...

Ive read alot that they are supposed to run at 210 degrees?

Is this true? If so, does this pose a problem? could a 25 degree difference contribute to lost efficiency?

thanks
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Somewhere north of 200 F, is the normal operating temp. A good indicater is the temp gauge in the dash, straight up, at 12 o'clock is the correct temp position.

Yes, if not operating at the correct temp, the engine may not/will not run at the peak of it's ability. It will probably cost you at the pumps
  3. reggiecab2000

any probable cause of this you think?
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Oh, sorry I should have added that.

It is usually the engine coolant thermostat.

Probably a good time to also have the engine coolant flushed and changed as well.
  5. reggiecab2000

last time that was done was probably when my truck was totaled back on memorial day in '08, actually about 6 months later is when it was finally fixed, so been about 5 years because i know i havent flushed the coolant
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the fan too, if you have a clutch fan make sure it isnt locked up and running full time.
  7. reggiecab2000

i have the ls1 e-fans
  8. Skippy

Skippy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Just a toss-out here, that you shouldn't forget the obvious possibility that your temperature gauge is inaccurate. 185 constant seems VERY cool. As indicated by otheres, 205-210 is what you'll normally see. If fluid isn't doing it's job, usually the temp goes UP... Though at 5 years, there's a lot of other reasons to flush your system, too! (additives get used up in the antifreeze, and particulate build-up should be flushed).

-Skippy
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be possible that a "fail safe" thermostat was installed last time. I hate those things! The guys at autozone talked me into putting one in my wife's cavalier back in 2002. He used the "it will never get stuck closed, so your motor will never overheat" I left it in for about 2 weeks! If we traveled anywhere we had to keep a blanket in the car. As soon as we drove over 40 mph the coolant temp would drop so the heater only blew cold air. I will never use a fail safe again. Many times they do not tell you that they are selling you a fail safe thermostat. Yes, not getting up to operating temp can damage you mpg. Like [MENTION=54249]RayVoy[/MENTION] said the temp gauge should be straight up. (almost strait up, one line from strait up)
  10. reggiecab2000

thought i might add this for reference...
    its like this about ~80% of the time.... SOMETIMES it'll crawl up about 10 more degrees, on a hot day in traffic, but most of the time it looks like so

photo (4).JPG