Engine Too Hot, A/C Turned Off

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Kris34, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Kris34

Kris34 New Member

oh I most definitely will do that but would be nice if it was nothing serious and $$$

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I agree, I was thinking about this thread, and realized, that your truck is approaching, or has passed, the 5 year limit on the factory antifreeze. Might be a good time to have it changed.

3. KevinE

KevinE New Member

I have a similar issue, but slightly different. I just replaced the A/C compressor (and all the additional parts required), filled the compressor with oil and started my 07 Tahoe to fill the refrigerant. The DIC immediately displayed the message "engine too hot, A/C turned off". This message did not previously appear and I have checked all of the temperature sensor connections to ensure I didn't accidentally disconnect something. So, the only change since the issue is: vacuuming A/C lines, replacing the A/C compressor, replacing the dryer, replacing the filter, replacing all seals on all A/C lines, adding proper oil to Compressor.

Any ideas?

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

so was the temp gauge pegged to the max ? my guess is you messed up the temp sender of the engine some how. shorted it out.

with the compressor replacing you missed one very important thing and that is using ac line flush to clean out the crap from the old compressor. now most all this crap is in the condenser. I would also replace the orifice tube which you did not mention .you use air pressure to blow out the ac flush .. you continue to repeat until the flush blown out is clean NOT GRAY!!!

when the oil is put in then you add some leak detector which glows with a black light. then with the system closed up you put the gauge set on it hi/low and the middle hose goes to the vacuum pump and you pump it for an hour. then close the valves and see that it holds vacuum. if so then you connect to the R134 can and with the engine off add the refrigerant. when it stops going in then start engine and turn ac on .. the ac should come on and shut off until you get 2 cans in there. see what the amount should be. my guess is about 30OZ.
    2 cans 24 OZ should be good though...