1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Trouble....on a 1997" with a 5.7 Liter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chase0320, Nov 6, 2012.

1. chase0320

chase0320 New Member

i have a 97 chevy k1500 with the 5.7 i changed the plugs,wires,cap and rotor truck running really rough you can smell fuel in the oil and very heavy at the motor. i have changed plugs twice cylinder 5 and 7 the plug is wet covered in fuel and and cylinder 6 is fouled out. i don't know if i have a injector stuck open or if maybe the fuel pressure regulator have any thing to do with it i am at a stand still i don't want to drive it because i don't want to screw it up more than what it already is. but it is my only transportation. any advice would help thanks.
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

****Thread Moved****
    To the
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech Section

3. stratct

stratct New Member

Is it TBI or MPI?
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

With 3 of 8 cylinders showing signs of fouling, I would not think injectors first -- seems unlikely to have multiple injectors get stuck open at the same time. My first thought would be a regulator issue. With a flashlight and a mirror, look down the throttle body for raw fuel in the intake (indicating that the diaphragm in the regulator is ruptured). You might also put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the system is running at too high of pressure or if the system holds pressure when the pump is off.
  5. chase0320

chase0320 New Member

i believe it is mpi

- - - Updated - - -

i will have to check that out thanks for the advice i am changing the intake gasket this weekend i will take a look and replace i know i used a 1/4 tank of gas within 7 miles so it is getting worse