1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

engine whistles on acceleration

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by plumber_rob, Jan 14, 2009.

1. plumber_rob

plumber_rob New Member

I have a 2000 silverado ext cab with 5.3. The engine whistles when I accelerate. It doesn't do it at idle or cruising speed. I was wondering if this is normal. The truck runs fine. I think it sounds kind of cool. It must loud enough to hear outside the truck cause one my co-worker noticed it one morning when I got to work. He thought I had one of those throttle body spacers that do make that whistle. As far as I know the truck is completely stock.
  2. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts

Make sure all your hoses on your intake piping are tight around the clamps, I've had that happen a couple of times on other cars of mine.
  3. hunter541

hunter541 New Member

need to find someone with a smoke machine to check for vaccum leaks i heard of some lower intake gasket leak sometimes unless your alternator making this noise good luck
  4. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Are you 100% sure its the engine? It could be a small piece of material on the truck that is whistling in the air (do you have window vents). My grand prix passanger door did the same and i always thought it was the speaker in the door, took it to the dealershi one day and asked the service manager, he grabbed a razor walked out and ran it along the weatherstrip on the A pillar and off came a clear peice of adhesive for the stripping and that cured it
  5. plumber_rob

plumber_rob New Member

No. I'm pretty sure it coming from the engine. I can rev the engine in park and it does it.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

OH I see, when you said it doesnt at idle i thought you meant only when moving. I would guess maybe a clamp on the intake or maybe the softer rubber part my have a small tear in it
  7. plumber_rob

plumber_rob New Member

I'll have to take a closer look at the engine. I'm still learning about this motor. The last full size truck that I had was a 1979 Chevy Bonanza with a 350. I have been V8 less for awhile. I'm just getting out my S-10 phase. I have been a member of the mys10.com for awhile.
  8. GaryL

GaryL New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Did this just start or has it done it since you have owned it. Check the air filter housing and all the vacuum lines you can (as stated above). Are you sure it doesn't have a supercharger or turbo?:lol:
  9. plumber_rob

plumber_rob New Member

I just bought the truck about a week ago. And it does not have a supercharger or turbo. If so I would know. I use to have a friend who had a ATI procharger on his 01 silverado. That was one bad truck.
  10. boop428

boop428 New Member

I have searched many forums over the last 5 hours, and it seems nobody wants to answer this problem. It almost seems that certain groups (stealerships) dont want this information posted. My TB is doing the same thing, so I will take it apart this week, and post how I fixed it on all forums for all to see.