1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Engine Wont Fire?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Niekamp-Alaska, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Niekamp-Alaska

Niekamp-Alaska New Member

1982 GMC with a 305.

The engine will turn over but is not firing. Ive replaced the distributor cap but still no luck. The plugs are sparking, i checked that. I can smell gas and see it on the choke blade in the carb when the gas pedal is pressed down. And it should be getting air. Any ideas of what could be wrong with it? Could the coil be bad? Also, the truck has electronic spark control if that might be the route of some problems. Thanks.
  2. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, the Ignition Control Module (ICM) could be a cause for this issue.

Be sure to check your ground connections from the battery to the frame and from the engine block to the frame.

If the ground connection is lost while the engine is running, the ICM will burn out.

If the ground is tight and the issue is still there, then change out the ICM.

I have had to do this on several of my older vehicles.

Hope this helps, let us know how things turn out for you.