1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

enough power from your 4.8L ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by RATRODKING, May 19, 2013.

1. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

guys, i went looking at used trucks yesterday and found a 2011 extra cab silverado with a 4.8L v-8... i looked the specs up and it says 302hp.... seem like enough for me, since i only pull a little 14' aluminum jon boat, but was curious how you guys like your 4.8L ?
    im sure its gotta have some pep to it, since i have been use to driving my 1990 k1500 with 5.7L which probably only has 180hp...
    just would like your thoughts on your 4.8L.....
    thanks
  2. nonnieselman

nonnieselman New Member

Gotta remember that 302 hp is not at 2000 rpms where your cruising.. its up around 4000-4500rpms.

i put a 4.8 in a suzuki Samurai.. its got plenty power in that lil thing haha
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I have a 2001 4.8L extended cab that only puts out 270HP. I don't tow so I can't really comment on that but it does have some get up and go when you put the pedal into it.
  4. IanF

IanF Member

I have a 2010 crew cab with the 4.8 and 4 speed and 3.23 rear-end 285HP I think. I pulled my 2500lb trailer about 300 miles last fall and didn't even feel it behind me I also had about 1200lb in tne truck. The gas mileage dropped a little but that was due to the 3.23 rear gears. Another 300 mile trip with my boat and motor (2000 lbs and 2000 in the truck) it was OK but i kept below 70 mph. If i had to replace it I would get the 3.73 gears (extra 2000 lb towing capacity). My truck has the towing package but no brake controller.
  5. nonnieselman

nonnieselman New Member

It also helps to drop a gear and turn some RPMs instead of letting it shift 4-3 and back 3-4 alot. That creates alot of unwanted heat in the trans.

goin 3.23 to 3.73 is really close to just pulling in 3rd gear with 3.23s.
  6. RATRODKING

RATRODKING New Member

thanks for the input guys... im still searching for a new or newer truck, but since i finally got my 1990 truck running good again, im putting it off for now.
    its good to know the 4.8l is sufficient.
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

in my opinion, the 4.8 will do ya, but for the money and what you will be doing, the 5.3 is better, more power, and the mileage will be just as good, it will also help resale if you ever do sell it.

Alex