Equinox AWD mod?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by russerts, Jan 4, 2010.

1. russerts

russerts New Member

My 2005 Equinox LT AWD has an irritating trait: When you are stopped and try to begin driving on a slippery surface, the front wheels spin quite a bit before power is routed to the rear. This means your studded tires are being abused, and if there is a slope to the side, the front of the car will begin to slide that way before you begin to move. Giving lots of throttle speeds the process, but really isn't a good solution.
    Has anyone with in-depth knowledge of the control system come up with a way to cause the power to be diverted to the rear? A momentary contact switch on the dash or console would be fine - just to make it engage when really needed.

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The transfer case module should see the slip and compensate for it. Have you checked your system for trouble codes? A faulty speed sensor will cause this problem.

3. russerts

russerts New Member

I get zero for trouble codes (for which I'm thankful!), and a service rep I spoke to back when the car was pretty new gave me to believe that this is normal operation. He said that he worked at a Saturn dealer previously and the Vue was the same.

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just curious, what scan tool did you use?

5. russerts

russerts New Member

Scanner ID

I have an Innova 3100 - bought back when any scanner under $100 was a screaming deal.