Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Equinox or Terrain - Looking at one for a commuter car

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by ChevyFan, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Chevy-Equinox.jpg I've driven both the Equinox and also the Terrain in the past years, and I've been thinking alot about getting one as a commuter vehicle for myself.

REASONS TO GET AN EQUINOX
    • It's not that small. I'm 6'4" and I fit inside it perfectly well. It's cozy, but not cramped for me.
    • It gets great gas mileage, perfect for a commuter car. Should see MPG around 25 for where I drive.
    • I can tow my utility trailer and/or a pop-up camper trailer with it, so it could be used for utility purposes with the 3.4 or 3.6 engine.
    • We should be able to get 3 kids across the rear seat if we need to. Two car seats and the oldest is just about done with the booster.
    • If it's treated right, should last to 200,000 miles w/o any major mechanical issues.
    • I like the styling of it, will do just fine for a monday to friday commuter.

REASONS TO NOT GET AN EQUINOX
    • It's not that big. It would be nice to find something that's slightly larger, but that would give lower MPG.
    • Getting three kids in here would be snug. 95% of the time it would be just me though, so that's not a major issue.
    • Can't tow a full-sized trailer if we go with the 2.4L ecotec four-cylinder that gets the good MPG. Would have to get the 3.4 or 3.6.
    • Would have to take the trailer each time I made a run to the hardware store.

Thoughts from equinox owners? Am I right on the money on this for everything that I want to do with it?
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2010 with the 2.4. I got it for the exact reason you are looking at them, the commute. I love it. I still have my old 95 truck so I use that to move the 4-wheeler, lawn mower, or runs to the hardware store. I would get the 2.4 and get an older truck to pull a trailer.
  3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have looked at the Equinox for a new vehicle for my wife. You can't beat the fuel milage and the interior layout is extremely well thought out. The one I looked at was a Mocha Brown LTZ with Tan and Black leather. I think they are a really sharp truck!!
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

ill add in my .02 here as well. im toying with going this route as well, rather then trade my truck in, get a new or couple year old equinox for the wife for the same reasons as you steve. mileage, room (im 6'3) plus its a little larger for more interior hauling room (car trips)

lets face it, gas isnt goingto get cheap any time soon, so mileage is the big thing for me. why buy a crew bab truck, that might get 18 for a average, when we could get a equinox, that will do most of the same stuff, get better mileage, and keep the truck i have now for the truck stuff.

Alex
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

My commute isn't all that hard anymore, but I'll be on a tight budget until I get some debt paid off and let's face it, none of us are getting any younger. :)
  7. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:glasses:I have been toying with the idea of trading off the Pathfinder, and that Terrain is right up my trail... I have no kids, just Mystic and although she is sorta a big kid(120lbs) I can't see myself towing anything with it, four wheeling or any thing like that, i did test drive one in the winter and thought it handled well on our winter roads...
    I live in truck country and have not owned a street car for many years.. I guess the only thing that is stopping me from actually doing it is the trade in price for the Pathfinder... it has low milage and except for a little dent in the plastic bumper, mint shape, they offered me almost nothing for it..and then there is the monthly payments on the difference even at 0%.... would rather drive the pathfinder (paid for) and spend the monthly, would be payments on more mods and toys for the Dirty Dog and some toys and projects... ohhh and more milk bones as well....
    But i do really think going this way with the new environmentally friendly vehicles is the way to go....and when the time comes i think it will be the Terrain....
  8. EGRUSA

EGRUSA Member 100 Posts

Brett over here in the office just picked up his 2012 Eqinox as a daily driver for his 30 mile or 2 hours commute (yes it really does take 2 hours to commute from Newport Beach To Ontario at 8am on California's Highways :grrrrrr:)

I've had a few instances where I had to use it for some errands and I can admit that its pretty comfortable and easy to maneuver. The 28mpg isnt too bad either.

He figured if your going to sit around in traffic you might as well do it in comfort than in his 86 VW Cabriolet.
    [​IMG]
  9. forace2011

forace2011 New Member

Just bought a 2011 Terrain slt-2 fully loaded. Love it and the mileage helps. went with 2.4. It even came with a hitch on it. It can pull a small trailer or my jet ski. Up to 1500 lbs. Terrain is quieter inside due to more sound insulation. Same running gear. @012 are same but I understand they have a little diff engine and get closer to the 22/32 as stated on sticker. Wish I had waited but I am still satisfied. Good luck in your decision. I do still have a 2005 GMC Sierra slt loaded ccsb 4X4. Jus my $.02 worth.
  10. jinsei

jinsei New Member

I should say that the features of Equinox are perfect for modern families (or housewives for that matter). I’ve always had a mindset that families always get minivans (sorry about this) but I will definitely choose Equinox once I have my own family after considering its performance and overall design.