Equinox writeup [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by ChevyFan, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I found this on the web.

Chevy joins the compact, car-based SUV segment

AUSTIN, Texas — The Equinox SUV is the latest model in Chevy's new product blitz, and it fills a niche that is very popular with competitors.

The car-based Equinox stacks up against the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4. It is available in LS or LT trim levels, with front-wheel or all-wheel drive. The base price is $21,560, and loaded LT models top out around $28,000. Dealers should be receiving them now.

Equinox may be late to the party, but it has a standard V-6, an adjustable rear seat and a host of clever items that separate it from its rivals. Convenience is key. A purse will fit between the front seats, and the floor of the rear cargo area lifts out to become a luggage cover or a tray table for tailgating. The cargo area is dotted with tie-downs that are designed so it is easy to get a finger inside, yet they don't stick up to mar whatever it is you haul.

Equinox shares its chassis with the Saturn Vue, but it has been lengthened 6 inches for this application. Most of the additional room has been put into the movable back seat that is similar in concept to that of the Malibu Maxx. The seat adjusts slides 8 inches. When it is forward, it is easy to reach a child in a safety seat. When it is back, adults have the kind of legroom normally found in full-size sedans.

When the sliding seat is folded, the cargo floor is not quite flat, and the depth of the cargo hold is compromised a bit. For most users, however, the loss of depth will not be a major problem.

The Equinox is one of the most handsome vehicles in Chevy's fleet. The body is lean and taut, with the wheels pushed out to the edges for a muscular stance. It takes a very careful eye to notice that the Equinox and Vue share the same windshield and roofline. Otherwise, the two are very different. The Equinox looks better than the Vue in part because the metal body panels fit tightly. The one exception is a sizable gap between the clamshell hood and the top of the front fender.

The Equinox does not get the 250-horsepower Honda V-6 that now rides in the nose of the Vue. Chevy folks said that Honda does not have the capacity to supply enough engines for both vehicles, and the Honda engine is more expensive, to boot.

The Equinox makes do with the 185-horsepower, 3.4-liter V-6 that is similar to the one in Chevy's minivan. This engine, however, is manufactured in China and it is mated to a five-speed automatic transmission that makes it seem more energetic than it is in other applications. Traction control is standard on front-wheel-drive models. Mtowing capacity is 3,500 pounds with the towing package.

The Equinox has electronic power steering, but it felt abnormally heavy when turning and accelerating at the same time.
    The Equinox and the Vue use the same instrument panel, but the gauge package is different, as is the silver texture. The space alongside the shift lever is a great place to toss sunglasses, for example. I would prefer to have the power window switches on the door instead of the console.

Front airbags are standard, while side-curtain airbags are optional.

An independent rear suspension gives the Equinox responsive handling and a comfortable ride.

Price:The base price of the LS is $21,560, while the LT starts at $24,335.
    Warranty:Three years or 36,000 miles.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    • Engine: 3.4-liter, 185-hp V-6
    • Transmission: Automatic
    • Configuration: Front-wheel or all-wheel drive
    • Wheelbase: 112 inches
    • Curb weight: 4,760 lbs.
    • Base price: $21,560 to $24,335
    • Mpg rating: 19 city, 25 highway
    [​IMG][​IMG]aximum
    Equinox Parts

Chevy Truck Parts

2. domin8

domin8 New Member

2008 Chevy Equinox Sport/Pontiac Torrent GXP

I hope you don't mind, but I did a write-up on this vehicle already for another forum I'm member of. So, I just copied and pasted it here. I think this is the best thread for this without starting a new one.

I definitely have a desire to get out of my 2006 supercharged chevy cobalt SS. I believe I have definitely found its replacement too. I just test drove the first 2008 Equinox Sport to arrive in Utah. That thing hauls. It was an all-wheel drive model. With my wife, my mother, and the dealer in the car it still moved quickly. I could have swore that it had more than 263bhp because of its acceleration. GM claims that this vehicle, and the Pontiac equivalent, is supposed to acheive 0-60 in 6.9 seconds, which makes it faster than base Porsche Cayenne which comes with 290bhp. Less apparently is more. It even had great brakes which we found out immediately after getting a quick yellow which was too close to brake normally, but too far away to rush through. It has a 6-speed auto with a manual shift mode. If any of you have driven, rode in, or just been around an Equinox, forget anything you know about it. GM states that it is only 1" lower than the regular Equinox, but it looks and feels much lower, about 4"'s lower. It is still car-like with a very responsive suspension, but doesn't feel stiff like the chevy Cobalt SS/SC. With it being lowered, the standard 18" wheels and the sporty body kit, this thing looks like a much different Equinox than what we have seen previously, and that's a good thing since it drives and handles much better too.

The 2008 Equinox was also dressed in the new blue that replaces what some people have come to call blurple. Not my preference since I hate blue in general, however, it is still a nice color. It acts very much like the sport red tint that is on my wife's 07 Cobalt SS sedan where the shade varies depending upon light, but without the additional cost. I would have loved to see this car in blurple though. It would have really drawn attention to the car, especially since I didn't notice a single person looking at the car until I suddenly blew past them on the freeway. This was done when the dealer asked me to see if I could hit the rev limiter with the car in manual shift mode. I tried this in 3rd gear. Though it did not hit the rev limiter, probably due to a safety mode that might be incorporated into the cars programming until the engine is thoroughly broken in, I did notice one other thing that was confirmed by all passengers: Regardless of rpm's, the car pulls consistently and does not let off, even in the higher rpm's. I would even be willing to go as far as say that the Equinox Sport pulls harder as the rpm's get higher until it has to shift.

There was only complaint that I had, but it isn't enough to keep me from buying the Equinox Sport. The problem comes from the tranny, so the Equinox Sport is probably not going to be the vehicle we hear this about since GM is incorporating the 6-speed 6T70 automatic transmission in many cars including the GMC Acadia/Saturn Outlook/Buick Enclave/and 2009 Chevy Traverse which will replace the chevy Trailblazer, and new BMW's that have a 6-speed auto tranny. The problem was when I was lightly cruising then jumped on the gas to test passing capabilities the tranny had to shift down 2 gears which caused a loud "thunking" noise. Since the tranny is new, I'd give it a little time and the problem will be fixed.

Other than the tranny "thunking" noise, this is a solid vehicle on the street and a great performer. It feels and appears more durable than the base Equinox. I did not try to do any off-roading, and since the ground clearance is lower than the regular Equinox's, the wheels appear expensive, there is a sporty body kit including a front bumper that incorporates some styling cues from the soon-to-be-extinct Chevy Trailblazer SS, I do not dare try. When you think about it, you wouldn't off-road a sports car, why would you off-road a Sporty performance cross-over SUV?

This is one that will find its way into my driveway, and likely prevent me from buying a fully loaded Pontiac G8 when it gets the rumored 450bhp engine.
    Equinox Parts
    This vehicle is why I'm on this forum.

Here's a link with some pics: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://imgup-lb.automotive.com:8080/files/1058177.w600.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blogs.motortrend.com/1008422/car-news/2008-chevrolet-equinox-sport-to-join-automakers-lineup/index.html&h=349&w=600&sz=34&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=d1a8RAKFaYKjFM:&tbnh=79&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3D2008%2BChevrolet%2BEquinox%2BSport%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.