Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

error code P0446

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by snarl2004, May 3, 2010.

1. snarl2004

snarl2004 New Member

So last december this code popped up on my 2004 gmc sierra. turned out the EVAP vent solenoid was bad and it was replaced under my trucks warranty. My truck is out of warranty now and the same code popped back about a month ago. I called the dealership where i got it fixed and the solenoid was 1 year warranty so i brought it to the dealership for them to test it. They say the check engine light just turned off when i dropped it off (i think they cleared it and couldn't get the code to pop back up and didnt know what else to do) but they said they tested the solenoid and it was fine. so anyway i took it home and about a week later the code came back on.

i did a search a found this:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18964

So could my problem be the vent is clogged? The EVAP solenoid is brand new and supposedly working fine. It said the problem is caused by dust getting in there. Sense i got it fixed last december the truck hasnt seem any dirt roads or dust. All highway driving. Could the heavy usage of salt they use up here clog up the vent?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I would still say that since it is up again take it to them and show it is back on. since it is the same code for what was fixed should be done free.
  3. snarl2004

snarl2004 New Member

They said even though its the same code it would only be covered if the EVAP solenoid was defective sense thats all they replaced last time. They also said when i brought it back they tested the solenoid and it was working fine.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Its most likely the vent on top of the tank, I had mine replaced under that same code and that took care of it. It was like $100 bucks total for my shop to drop the tank and rplace it.