1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Escalade vs Tahoe or Yukon.

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by stchman, Jan 16, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

Had a chance to sit in a new 2013 Escalade, and while it shares a lot with the Tahoe or Yukon, they are not even in the same universe as an Escalade.

I could not believe how uber luxurious the Escalade was. Since my Silverado LTZ shares the identical dash with the Tahoe and Yukon, the dash on the Escalade is FAR SUPERIOR.

One of these days maybe I will be able to afford one of these ultra luxury rides.
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If they are building them in comparison like they did in 2003. I strongly urge you to think twice. My 2003 Escalade Ext is the worst GM vehicle I have ever owned. Way overpriced for the emblems on it and the luxury items such as the air ride are cheaply built expensive junk. If you need to know more of the problems I have had with mine just ask but it won't be a short story.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Should have gotten a Avalanche Saved about $20K But then again I too am having problems...:grrrrrr:
  4. the phantom

I purchased mine used with about 29k on it. I was looking into a used avalanche when I bought the caddy and found I was only spending about 3k-5k more for the more luxurious, Quality:rofl:, better built:rofl:gm product. Man was I mistaken. Now I wish I had taken that route.
  5. stchman

I've never been in a 2003 Escalade, but hopefully 10 years later it's been improved.

- - - Updated - - -

All an Avalanche is is a Suburban with a fancy truck bed. The Escalade is a pretty different animal. An Escalade is an SUV while an Avalanche is pretty much a pickup.
  6. the phantom

I haven't looked at them recently, but in 03 when I was looking into them. All of the components of the Avalanche were the same as the Escalade except the Avalanche had switchable 2 to 4wd where the Escalade was AWD. All of the mechanics of the engine were the same components as a silverado with the 6.0 engine. Im not trying to downgrade the Escalade itself. But after owning one I will say I will never own one again. Like you said, hopefully after 10 years they have improved it but they have also improved the silverado's and the newer Avalanche's features also. Obvously im only comparing the Avalanche LTZ to the Escalade EXT as im not educated with the SUV versions of the Escalade, Tahoe and Denali.
  7. stchman

Hopefully everyone in the forum knows that 2013 is the last year for the Avalanche and the Escalade EXT. GM is discontinuing them both.
  8. the phantom

Quick list of problems I had:

Front Diff bearing at 29k miles $1200
    Drivers side window regulator 37k miles $65 (ebay) Dealer wanted close to $200
    Interior slide for moonroof flew out the window at 40k miles $???? never replaced
    Driverside Wheel bearing at 51k miles $75 parts (did myself)
    Power steering pump at 57k miles $85 parts (did myself)
    3rd Brake light quit working at 60k miles (still doesnt work sshhhh dont tell my annual inspector guy)
    Drivers side mirror filled with water and quit dimming/heating replaced with a used at $85 (Ebay)
    Transmision overhaul and lines at 69k miles $2100
    Instrument cluster (Spedo Quit) $175 Labor parts covered by Cadillac
    Passenger side window regulator at 71k miles $65 (ebay)
    Oil cooler lines replaced at 73k miles $60 Autozone
    Rear passenger door regulator at 74k miles $65 (Ebay)
    Instrument Cluster Tachometer quit 8 months after replaced (Still doesnt work)
    Vent Selonoid replaced (for emisions) at 75k miles

this is just off the top of my head, Im sure theres more. Now if the truck had 100k miles plus I could see most of these things but this is rediculous. Probably why they should discontinue.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

They are so much.... From a great ride, to a Pickup. Photo-0409 (1).jpg (8ft dresser moved last night) to a moving machine move1.jpg to a show truck... showready.jpg it does so much..
  10. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

I don't like avalanches at all!! But dang, yours is smokin Enki!