1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Essential gear when towing

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by ChevyFan, Apr 23, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I know some of you guys (and gals) tow something all the time, some do it on occasion, some almost never. However, when you do tow, what type of outfit do you like to have and what (if any) type of extra gear do you take with you?
  2. steved

steved Former Member 100 Posts

Since I'm looking to buy a new truck, I'll be watching this thread...

I know the power train I want (6.0L/auto), but I'm torn as what rear ratio I should consider...4.10s will obviously tow better (on a gasser), but will 3.73s work for the occasional 10,000 pound trailer/RV towing? 3.73s would probably give better driveability and mileage, but would they be too high?
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

put it to ya this way, steved. i have done 6000 on my half ton with the 5.3 and 3.42s and ya it grunted going up hills, but it did it. with the new HO 6.0s and 3.73s, even with 10 k you should be fine. unless you plan on running over the rockies everyday, the 4.10s arnt really necessary. just my 2 cents worth tho.

Alex
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For the occasional 10k pound trailer the 3.73 will be plenty, unless you are constantly pulling through the hills. The 3.73 is a good all around gear. Obviously this changes with lift bigger tires etc.
  5. Brews

Brews New Member

This is the setup I have and I'm pulling a 11,000 pound 5th wheel. It pulls fine (I miss my Duramax) but the gas mileage is pitiful.
  6. dsfloyd

sorry Steve, I think the thread got hijacked a tad.

I dont tow too often, but usually carry the same stuff I normally do. Tools for simple repairs, emergency stuff etc.
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That's ok, the goal is to get people talking about towing in general. We can separate out the threads later.
  8. steved

I was thinking "gearing" when the title stated "gear"...my bad...

As for the actual gear I currently carry (I travel a good bit)...

If I know I'm going somewhere rough, I carry a Ramsey ProPlus 9000 receiver-mounted winch and all the associated recovery gear needed for it. I also carried a industrial 12-volt air compressor (complete with a tank, looks like a framing/nailer compressor) for airing up/down at the end of the day.

I carry a good assortment of tools, I use small canvas bags to keep wrenches, separate from screwdrivers, etc.; plus the bags are easier to "mold" in my toolbox. I have pretty much every tool needed to do the more common roadside repair for my Dodge (FCA, water pump, belt, brakes, etc.). I also carry an assortment of electrical repair supplies: connectors, terminal ends, weatherproof heat shrink, FUSES, soldering iron, solder, etc.. I state the fuses because trailers typically give more fuse issues than anything...know what ones control your trailer and carry spares.

I also carry spare pieces (hey, parts houses aren't always open at 3AM when something decides to fail)...in my case, its pieces that typically fail that cause issues that are also fairly simple to change out roadside...FCA, cam/crank sensors, rail pressure sensor, cascade valve, rail relief valve, spare hoses, filters, quart of each fluid, front and rear wheel bearings (I have the dynatrac conversion on the front, real bearings), belt, water pump (two bolts, 45 minute job), tube of grease, and a grease gun. Until I bought my Edge Insight, I also carried around a code scanner (cheap)...

I also have capability of carrying 60 gallons of extra fuel, making for almost 100 gallons on board. I ran into two situations where having that extra fuel took a lot of stress out of the trip...being able to run almost 2000 miles before running out of fuel has its benefits!

Believe it or not, all this stuff (short the compressor and winch) fit into two tool boxes: one is 12x12x24 that resides behind the seat and the other is 48x16x6 that resides on top of my auxiliary fuel tank.

Another thing I carry all the time is a 4-inch drop hitch with an adapt-a-ball (makes changing ball sizes easy)...for those instances where you need to tow and aren't at home!

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

That's good to know, I was looking for someone who had been there, done that...everyone kept saying the 3.73s would be fine, but I just didn't know. Its been a long time (better than 20 years) since I towed with a gasser...I know they made improvements, but I'm going from a slightly modified Cummins to a 6.0L and I'm sitting almost 100HP more than, and probably double the torque of, the 6.0L; plus a 6spd manual and 4.10s; so you can see my concern on paper.

I was thinking last night it will probably be very similar to towing with my previous truck, a 99 2500 Cummins auto...it was rated at 215HP and around 400 lb-ft of torque, added to the loose converter and 3.55s; it didn't do all that bad. Figure similar torque, and more HP from the 6.0L, plus slightly better diff gearing and better gearing in the trans...6.0L/auto should tow pretty good, and probably better than my 99 Cummins did.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  9. dsfloyd

I could see where you would be a little conscerned with the change. Can I ask why the change?
  10. steved

Standard cab truck too small for the family is the main reason for changing.

The reason for not getting another diesel? From reading the forums, the newer diesel offerings aren't that impressive as far as economy and reliability.