1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ethanol differences - E85, E15, E10 and more.

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by accesshero, Nov 11, 2008.

1. accesshero

accesshero New Member

What do you guys say about Ethanol additives? Jamaica has just launched a new brand of gasoline called E10. This is 87 octane gas with 10% Ethanol ... Have any of you ever used Ethanol mixtures in your truck? I have a GMC Canyon 2005 and I just want to make sure that this will work...

P1010184.jpg

AccessHero :glasses:
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

we have E85 here which can only (i think) be run in the newer Flex Fule or Ethanol capabel cars and trucks. Im not sure if or what the diff is in e85 and e10.. might try checking with your local Chevy Dealer :neutral:
  3. Akula682

Akula682 Rockstar

You will have no real problems with E10. You will see a slight dip in MPG's is all.
    E85... this is just me but, if i still had my Gas burner 98 F150 i would burn E85 in it all day long without any kind of mods to it because i think the "flexfuel" vehicles are a scam to jack the price up on them... yes Ethanol does have cleaning properties to it but its not as bad as they make it out to be, they scream about how hard it is because they are in bed with the oil companies.

Bio-Diesel is a bit more corrosive to natural rubber (which really isnt used in fuel applications anymore) but even that in a B20 mix will not hurt a diesel truck.
  4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

breathing life back into this thread. Comments?
  5. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

For the original question:
    E-10 = 10% Ethanol
    E-15 = 15% Ethanol
    E-85 = 85% Ethanol

Around here they've been putting 15% eth in our gas for about 10 - 12 years, ever since someone pointed out to them that the MTBEs that they were putting in it before, caused cancer. Chances are that there is 10% to 15% eth in everyones gas around the country UNLESS it says ALCOHOL FREE on the gas pump. As far as corroding your fuel tank, eth isn't bad. Methanol is the alcohol that corrodes the sh*t out of metal. As far as cleaning all the crud out of your fuel tank & creating problems with circulating the crud through your fuel system, that was also methanol. Like pointed out before it doesn't get the MPG that gasoline does. 100% ethanol will net you between a 30%-40% loss because you have to burn so much more of it (less bang for the buck because less BTUs compared to gasoline), so unless you can buy it for 30%-40% less than gas you won't gain by the dollar, but you will be helping to put the middle east terrorists out of business.
    It is also almost impossible to start a cold engine on 100% ethanol (trust me on this) & that is why the E-85 is about the limit because you need the 15% gasoline for cold starts.