EVAP Purge Valve Issue??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've had a check engine light on for a while now. It's throwing out the following codes: P0449 and P0496. Both of these refer to an issue with the EVAP system. I pulled the purge valve located near the fuel tank and cleaned it out, which didn't fix it, but I do hear a rattle when I shake it, so I'm thinking this is the source of my problem. If I replace that and it doesn't fix it, I'll move to the solenoid under the hood.

Fixing/replacing these parts isn't my issue. I'm just wondering if not fixing this issue right away will do any kind of damage to my truck. I'm about to go on a long road trip, and I don't have time to order the replacement parts before I leave. If I wait until I get back, will I be hurting my truck in any way?? Please help! Thanks!

2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Any ideas on this guys?? I hate to be peristant, but I'm leaving tomorrow, lol

3. 07silverado07

07silverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

My truck has had these same 2 codes on it since about 40,000 miles and its got over 100,000 on it now and I havent had any issues...