1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

EVAP Purge Valve Issue??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Jul 20, 2010.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've had a check engine light on for a while now. It's throwing out the following codes: P0449 and P0496. Both of these refer to an issue with the EVAP system. I pulled the purge valve located near the fuel tank and cleaned it out, which didn't fix it, but I do hear a rattle when I shake it, so I'm thinking this is the source of my problem. If I replace that and it doesn't fix it, I'll move to the solenoid under the hood.

Fixing/replacing these parts isn't my issue. I'm just wondering if not fixing this issue right away will do any kind of damage to my truck. I'm about to go on a long road trip, and I don't have time to order the replacement parts before I leave. If I wait until I get back, will I be hurting my truck in any way?? Please help! Thanks!
  2. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Any ideas on this guys?? I hate to be peristant, but I'm leaving tomorrow, lol
  3. 07silverado07

07silverado07 Rockstar 100 Posts

My truck has had these same 2 codes on it since about 40,000 miles and its got over 100,000 on it now and I havent had any issues...