Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

every 30k or 100k on differentials?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by theflatlander, Feb 19, 2014.

1. theflatlander

theflatlander New Member

Keep in mind I am on the MN/ND border and I use 4 wheel drive quite regularly during the winter. I have been recommended to change my differential fluid every 30k and or 100k. So whats right here? Should I stick with changing it every 30 or let it go to 100,000? Plan on having this truck until it rusts away so I would rather have it done right.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would do it every 30,000. Don't forget to do the t-case also
  3. theflatlander

theflatlander New Member

Thanks Pikey. I am having the transfer case and tranny done also but I will be doing those every 50k
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Typically differential fluid is one of those forgotten-about fluids that people don't change ever. Personally, I'd probably go closer to a 70-100K oil change interval, but there's nothing that would get hurt by changing it more often.
  5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I'm in MN and use the 4wd fairly extensively for winter driving, snow plowing, and mud.

I run synthetic fluid, which in the cold here, you really should. I use Valvoline but other brands are just as good.

I check it and if there are no leaks or signs of water contamination I will run it for 3 years before replacing it.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'm at 112K now and have not changed any yet. Just got a Est from the dealer for about $620 for all Rears,Diff and Trans...
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

My dealer checked mine, a couple of years ago, called me and said there was water in the front diff, quoted $240 to change it. I said, you mean $240 to repair the leak and change the fluid? He said no, just change it.

I took the truck to the guy who normally does my repairs, he said for $260 he would repair and change. I said go ahead. He could not find any leaks, so he just changed it. I asked him to change it twice, that day and two days later. The bill was $80 for 2 changes.

And you can say, wait, your in Canada; well, in Canada, almost everything cost more than in the US.
  8. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

If anyone can find a video to change the fluids, please post it! It could become a Sticky, for us newby's to 4x4!
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my off-road trucks Ive always sworn by changing the fluid every 30k.
    If your running it in dirt, mud, and through creeks theres always gonna be some water intrusion, I figure lube oils, seals, gaskets, and any filters are always cheaper than repairs.
  10. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I always change out the fluids (both diffs, transfer, and transmission) within the first 5,000 miles, put synthetics in, and go about 50,000 miles between changes. Did my 2013 Silverado right about 3500 miles. The rear diff was low from the factory by 1.5 pints. Not good. The transfer case had a lot of metal shavings on the magnetic plug and the fluid looked like sewer water. Whatever they are putting in at the factory, glad I got it out of there early on.