Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Excessive Cab Noise - 2010 Chevy Silverado & 2010 GMC Sierra Road Noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Hawgin1, May 5, 2010.

1. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Good observation. Also the new glass on these Chev pickups pits twice as fast as any ever before. The quality is subpar . I had to replace mine after just 6 months and that was summer time with out salt and sand from iced roads. No off road excursions and I live where there are no sand or dust storms. Glass company said they are seeing more GM windshields for pitting than ever before. Funny the cost of materials go down but the cost of the vehicles doesn't.

2. phxlab

phxlab New Member

Just got truck back this evening, and the ride is good. Very smooth up through 80 mph. So the story is that the truck vibrated badly with original tires. They swapped out with 4 wheels and tires from another truck. Still not good. Then ordered 4 new tires, and then ordered 2 more to get them to balance. They are Goodyear Wrangler SR.A tires. Dealer said they recently went through 16 Goodyears to find 4 that balanced. Their recommendation was to change to anything else when needing new tires.
    But for now, my truck rides smooth.

3. cashman4444

cashman4444 New Member

cashman4444

I have a 2011 GMC Sierra Crew with the short bed. The road noise in incredibely loud. It did appear to be coming in through the air vent in the RR of the cab. My dealer ordered a new insulation kit for the rear of the cab. This has helped a great deal but there still is considerable road noise. I am running 18" wheels and I purchased a new set of Michilens at 4000 miles but they are not any quiter than the original tires. Considering doing my own insulating of the complete cab. I'll let you know.

4. phxlab

phxlab New Member

Cashman4444
    I'm interested in your ideas of how to insulate the complete cab.
    Also, what tires were the original that you changed from?

5. jstein9020

jstein9020 New Member

First time poster, first time Chevy Owner. Yesterday I purchased a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab, Z71, LTZ with 11,000 miles on it.. I loved the truck when I test drove it at the dealer. However, during the test drive, I mentioned to the salesman that I was surprised that the road noise was so loud in the cab. He told me it was the worst road in the city and that was probably the issue. On the way home, 230 miles of driving from Iowa to Minnesota, I noticed the wind noise problem you are describing in this blog. By the time I arrived home, I had a headache and was totally depressed at having paid so much for a truck. I slept on it last night and this morning I got up early and Google'd the problem, which is what led me to this site. First of all, thank you all for the work you have put into this. The evolution of this wind noise problem through 34 blog pages was interesting and very helpful. My take away is that I can either present the Tech. Bulletin number to a dealer in the Twin Cities and ask them to do the complete fix, or else exercise my "5 day customer satisfaction" guarantee and take the truck back, bail out now and get my money back...walk away. I used the truck today around town, ironically I really love this truck but absolutely hate the wind noise. The other issue is the mpg is holding steady at about 15 city, 15.7 highway, okay, it is a truck, I get it, but I had expected I would get closer to 20 on the return trip from Iowa, I was a little surprised. Yes, the weather was bad, wind was blowing hard and it was snowing, we were driving about 65 - 70 mph on 35W northbound. Like I said, I do like this truck but I want it to be all I thought and heard it would be...your thoughts would be appreciated.

By the way, before I took the leap and bought the Silverado, I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the past 7 years...sweet ride but felt the urge to finally get back into a truck. Did I make a mistake, should I nurse this vehicle thru the GM fixes until I'm satisfied?

6. Take the TSB and take the truck in to the dealer, it should get rid of most of the road noise. Fuel? it's a truck. I baby my truck and never get close to 20 mpg. I love my truck but I think GM needs to learn how to build a better truck with less problems.

7. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

I have achieved a consistent 20mpg on several 900 mile road trips (one-way) from Southern California to Utah. This includes three 6,000 feet mountain passes. I drive no more than 75mph. I suspect that the wind and snow played a major factor in your mpg. I have a 2011-5.3 Silverado Crew Cab-2WD. Current odometer is almost 12,000 miles.

8. phxlab

phxlab New Member

In addition to the rear of the cab, I also have road noise from the from left of the truck. I just noticed today on my 2012 LTZ CC, 3 weeks old, that there is insulation protruding from each side of the cab down where the lower front of each door seals against the truck. (or doesn't seal). And the right side was wet after I washed the truck.
    Do any of you have this?
    I'm beginning to think my cab needs to be redone, front and rear.
    By the way, I've been averaging about 19.5 highway, 15 around town, but only have about 700 miles on truck.

9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

one thing alot of people dont realize is the difference between 2 wheel, and 4 wheel drive, two wheel u have the rear wheels driving and thats it. 4 wheel, even when in two wheel drive, the front drive shafts are turning, the disconnect is in the transfer case. the old manual locking hubs, the front drive shafts did not turn ( I think, little fuzzy on it)

basically u have alot of mass you are trying to rotate.

[MENTION=53711]jstein9020[/MENTION]. Im originally from minnesota, so I know the area to some extent. with the snow and wind, that mileage figure really dosnt surprise me. any sort of headwind will kill you. when I was back that way over christmas it was all I could do to get 17 on couple of windy days.

not trying to insult anyone, just pointing something out.

Alex

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

@Seirraowner5.3 you make a good point about the additional parasitic loss that is added with the 4wd parts when it comes to MPG. Not only are the parts still turning but they add additional weight.