1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Excessive Popping from New Tie-Rods (Front Left and Right)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bowtied, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello all,

I have an excessive amount of popping coming from the tie-rods (I assume) that were just replaced on my 04 , I am suspecting that the mechanic did not lube or grease or whatever the tie-rods at all since the sob on both sides is popping 3+ times per wheel turn (from lock to lock) even in motion.

Is this an easy area to access and lube or does it require a removal of the tire?

Also, now that i've been given my truck back the gear shift lever is extremely "loose" even in drive there is lateral play, and in park or 1 you can wobble the lever as though it were a joystick, definitely not how i gave it to him, wondering if there is some sort of linkage down there that would cause this issue.

Thanks for any advice,
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the lower pan needs removal. a grease gun with a 90deg fitting helps get to these . grease until the boot swells slightly. the tie rod seals should not allow grease to come out. the seals need be properly secured. while your down there see the tranny linkage connection for part tampering. the cable may have been taken and used in another vehicle.

owners that like to play with the shift lever constantly will have this problem , it is not designed for this amount of work .

use lithium based grease.
  3. Bowtied

its funny you should mention that the linkage may have been taken and used on another vehicle because that was the first thing i had in mind.

Also, since the dash or gear indicator on my 04 is electronic, would a faulty shift linkage not be as profound or noticeable as it was on my last truck which had an "analog" gear position indicator (when linkage was off, "P" was "R", "D" was "Low" etc. very obvious) , when i first googled the shift lever issue i came upon this:
    http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=341677 which to me doesnt seem likely as there was no repair in this area, only down at the tie rod.

EDIT: Also, forgot to mention both the inner and outer tie rods were replaced on both wheels, i am not familiar with how these are replaced but am watching you tube videos on this now, i am really not that happy about this.
  4. j cat

dirty larry did a great write up on that. I thought that the shift cable was the problem as with the slightly older trucks did have this issue. with yours it must be that bushing. like he said you could make one up, using some tubing and flaring the end.
  5. Bowtied

Well, the cable for the shift linkage needs to be checked, what i was wondering is, if linkage is off will it show on the electronic gear position indicator in the dash or, if linkage is correct electronically does this rule out that cable?
  6. j cat

with the shifter in park the bushing I would think is the problem. I would still check the cable at the tranny to see if they messed with it. that would be easy to see. or perhaps they some how damaged it when they lifted the vehicle etc.....
  7. 4by44ever

4by44ever New Member

Next time,i now im naging,but next fix things yourself as mutch as posible,a hannes manual goes a long way.
    And that way,if something is done wrong,you will know what.
    i'm also thinking colatoral damage from for example lifting,if parts are replaced with a broken ones,man,i think i would go nuts.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you sure that it is the tie rods popping and not the intermediate shaft that needs lubed?
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yea "popping" sounds like a steering shaft issue.