Excessive Sute (Black stuff)

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by AZ_Kid, Jun 10, 2009.

1. AZ_Kid

AZ_Kid Member

Just got back from a 2900 mile road trip. I noticed a lot of sute (black stuff) around the lower rear panel where the exhaust exits. I got the truck used, i know it's got a flowmaster just not sure how far they went back with it. What would be the cause of the excessive black stuff?

2. mateospeed

mateospeed Member

What you're referring to is "soot," and it's made when either 1) you drive a diesel, or 2) you're running too rich. How fast do you normally cruise on the highway? Fast enough to work the crap out of the engine? It will run a little bit rich at high load, but probably not rich enough to cover a body panel with soot. Normally, you only see that with high-powered forced induction vehicles, running VERY rich, down in the 11:1 AFR range.

I think you've got a fuel metering issue. Do you know what your kinda mileage you're getting?

3. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

good posting mateospeed. though 2900 miles is a long haul, i would almost expect to see some black. no much, but some. do you burn any oil? do you have a tune installed?

4. AZ_Kid

AZ_Kid Member

Speed ranged from 60-75 mph and i averaged between 12-13 mpg. I have made this trip with two other vehicles and it didn't have the soot. The other two were stock though.

Not burning any oil and no i don't have a tune

5. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

hmmmm... mow many miles are on your vehicle. you most likely running lean, but you could do a tune up. new plugs and wires, cap and rotor if you have them, seafoam, etc

6. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

yeah good idea cascott a good tuneup and sea foam or similar product will help out your intake is probably carboned up pretty good and just needs a good cleaning up

7. bd1326

bd1326 Rockstar

what year is the vehicle, is it burning oil?

8. AZ_Kid

AZ_Kid Member

Bought the truck with like 86,000Got 90,000 and some change on it now. I have noticed driving around the last couple days it seems to have a little more get up and go now though.

It's an 03 and no it's not burning oil

9. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm with mateospeed on this one: excessive soot is usually an indication of air/fuel mixture problems. The PCM's primary purpose is to control fuel mixture, so the first thing I'd probably do would be to put a scanner on it and see if there are any trouble codes (or pending codes). I'd probably also put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if fuel delivery is running where it should. Assuming your '03 has the same "continuously recirculatiing" fuel system like my '98, the regulators sometimes develop a leak that will let unmetered fuel into the intake which makes it run rich.

10. mateospeed

mateospeed Member

In my opinion, this is backwards. Soot is an indication of a rich condition (unburned fuel in the exhuast collect on the first solid surface it sees: the bumper), not a lean condition. A lean-running engine can produce very hot exhaust, potentially leading to a MELTED bumped, but not a black one. Unless that's actually what's happening, and it's black because it's melted. check it out for us.

This does seem a little low. A tune up is in order, although you don't have a distributor, so cap and rotor (the most commonly replaced items) are out. Plug wires are probably fine if you're not getting any misfiring. I might try an engine cleaner, but get the actual GM engine cleaning chemicals, not the sea foam junk. Check the plugs to see if they're discolored or black; that'll give you another indication if it's running richer-than-normal.

I hope this is helpful.

-Matt