Excessive Wind Noise

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tom Evans, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I couldn't find a good subject match for my problem, so here goes.

I have a 2002 Suburban which I bought this week. It has excessive wind noise coming fromt he driver's door area. All of the weatherstripping appears to be in place. However, I do see a gap between the hood, windshield, front fender and the door. I'm tempted to stuff something in there to see if the noise is circulating through that opening.

Has anyone else observed this problem?

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Take a close look at the door hinge. Chevy's seem to have a very weak design in this area. My 06 has been to the body shop twice. They rewelded the hinge plates. Mine has started to leak air at the door again just recently, but not enough to make me take it back to the shop. It has 80k on it, and I'll trade it at 100k, so I probably will let it go till then.

3. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

I found the problem. When I looked closelay at the front doors, I noticed that the gap between the body and the front edge of the left door was about 0.5 to 1 MM greater than the gap for the right door. I put a strip of 1/4" thick open cell foam tape (some folks call this "spring" tape) inside the weatherstrip along the front edge f the left door. The effect is to push the weatherstrip more tightly against the door. Now all I get is the normal amount of wind noise!

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Glad to hear it! ... er, glad that you don't hear it. ;-)

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of tape

Check with your fav body shop about getting the door adjusted and you won't have to use tape. Continued sagging of the door can lead to pinching of the lower portion of the door against the front fender. Took $2500 to fix this:

Attached Files: