1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

exhaust back fire need help!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cheyenne06, Jan 13, 2011.

1. cheyenne06

cheyenne06 New Member

exhaust poping noise when down shifting at high rpm's i need help figuring out if it normal or i have problem in the engine?:great:
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We need more info such as year/make/model/engine/etc...
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club Cheyenne. X2 on more info.

Exhaust leaks upstream in the e system on any make model engine will cause backfiring from the exhaust pipe on deceleration...
  4. cheyenne06

cheyenne06 New Member

2006 chevy silverado LS 5.3 it has a flowmaster with a cat back exhaust
  5. murdog94

Check engine light or anything else???
    and do you have a muffler or stright pipe? also what kind of RPMS are you talking about?
  6. cheyenne06

cheyenne06 New Member

it has a muffler. it only does it when im going like 80 to 90 mphs and then i decelerate a little thats when i here that poping noise in the exhaust
  7. murdog94

But the RPMS? and are you just letting off or are you taking it out of OD and putting it into 3rd?? and most likely it is the excess fuel from suddenly letting off getting burnt in the exhaust piping.
  8. cheyenne06

cheyenne06 New Member

i just let it of or sometimes when i have to hit the brake
  9. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

It's exhaust leaks somewhere between (the head to exhaust manifold gaskets, first possibility for a leak) all the way back to your last joint on the exhaust system. Start it up & listen from the front all the way back. If you can't hear them, feel for air escaping with your hand.
  10. murdog94

X2! on that i was thinking downshifting. Also look VERY close at the exhaust manifolds and bolts since it is very commong for the bolts to break and or the manifolds to crack.