1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

exhaust check light

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by henrys021500hd, Feb 19, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. henrys021500hd

henrys021500hd New Member

07-1\2, 2500HD. The amber check engine light for the exhaust filter(DPF) has started to come on after we have towed for a while(in sourthern CA) so when we get to our destination and then driving without the trailer the light goes out, this is the 3rd time in two weeks it has come on. Any sugestions? I just had the fuel filter changed before this started.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I know a guy who was towing a boat and had this light come on and then later the trucks engine light came on and reduced power to the point he had to have the truck towed to a dealer.

From what he described there is a filter somewhere along the exhaust towards the rear near the tip. That filter had to be changed. If the location isnt right someone will chime in and correct me :)

This new gadget is part of the new effort to reduce the diesel black smoke output I believe.

Halfway down the page on the following link describes the DPF process.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/breakdown_advice/warning_lights.html
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. henrys021500hd

Thanks for the link, I will look under the truck tomorrow and let you know what I find.
  4. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are you running a K&N filter?

If you do only/mostly town/city driving (lower speed, stop/go), the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter, in the exhaust) hasn't had opportunity to regen (run the clean cycle). The truck needs to be driven at/near highway speeds and/or with a significant load for a given period to complete the cycle (or the computer won't be happy, and reduce your power/fuel, among other things). While the K&N filters can cause MAF issues from too much oil (contaminating the MAF sensor), it isn't likely causing your current problem. The dealer should have addressed the DPF regen issue before anything else. To blame the issue on an aftermarket filter, absent of supporting DTC's or symptoms, is irresponsible on their part (doesn't seem too uncommon, lately).
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. henrys021500hd

No I am not using any aftermarket air filter, the intake and exhaust are all factory. I have not as yet taken the truck into the dealer for this issue. We are towing an 8000# trailer at highway speeds, low speed/ long idle is not in the picture.
  6. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member 100 Posts

Don't know how many miles you have on your truck, I'm not a diesel guy but I'm pretty sure the dpf needs to be cleaned at regular intervals. I heard that Catepillar has the machine and all the attachments for most filters. Don't know how much it is though. Hope this helps.
  7. henrys021500hd

The truck is currently at a Chevy dealer and I will find out tomorrow(wed). 88,000miles.
  8. henrys021500hd

Well we got the truck back today and they replaced the airfilter which was supposidly causing an issue and causing the exhaust checklight. We are leaving here and travelling with the 5th wheel travel trailer for a couple of hours, which has triggered the light to come on before, so lets hope it has been resolved.