exhaust cut behind cat

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevy1500, Feb 2, 2009.

1. chevy1500

chevy1500 New Member

would this affect any of the performance of the truck if i just cut the exhaust right behind the cat? tryin to make it louder without putting any money into it.

2. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett Rockstar

Nobody has posted on this? I will help you out. So what is the purpose? Just to make it louder? Well what motor do you have? I straight piped my 5.7 L and it sounded nasty. If I were doing a system on a low budget what I would do is measure the length of the muffler as well as the diameter of the pipe. Take the length of the muffler and add about four inches and go to a muffler shop and buy that much pipe. You are going to want something a little bit bigger in diameter than what you have now and this method is known as sleeving the pipe. Cut the muffler out and slip the new pipe over where the muffler went. Weld it if you can and you got yourself a straightpipe exhaust. The problem with cutting off all of the pipe behind the cat is that all the exhaust fumes are going to be coming out right under where you sit and is bad for your health. It can make you sick. But as far as performace goes its not going to help very much, you essentially have no back pressure and the truck is going to backfire and sound horrible. The straight pipe I mentioned is a lot better to do than what you are saying.

I can get pipe for about three dollars a foot and you would need less than two feet. So is it worth six bucks to do it right and not get sick? That is the question bro. If you need some help doing it let me know and I can help you out. Good Luck!

3. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

IF he cuts it then wouldnt it be loud enough that he wont pass out from monoxide:neutral::sleep:
    im kidding

4. chevy1500

chevy1500 New Member

i ran into a guy that i work with here and he recomended a place in town but all they do is put a y-splitter on and then run duals out the back. i had a glasspac on my 02 silverado and that sounded good, but down here in abilene texas those are hard to find. i think i may just go with straight piping it. just cut the exhaust off right behind the cat and sleeve it from there using the stock exhaust exit..

instead of welding can i just use and exhaust clamp?

5. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if you want it to eventually come loose and sound like crap, go ahead and bolt it. i prefer welding it all

6. chevy1500

chevy1500 New Member

yea that is true didnt even think bout that one till after i wrote on the post. im gonna have to look around in the shop and see if i can scrounge up a welder and weld it on. if it wasnt for the laws about cats i would cut the whole thing off and run true duals out the back straight from the headers.

7. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett Rockstar

True duals from the headers back without cats would be sweet! I don't have to worry about emissions here in weld county, co. I live in a primarily farm county on the eastern plains so there are no emissions laws. LOL Anyway glass packs are easy to get if you buy them from good old JCWhitney. JUst measure what sixe you want and order it. They have good prices on several different mufflers and the shipping and service is always awesome. Only takes a few days to get it and the shipping is not very much. Hope that helps!

8. SilveradoBrett

SilveradoBrett Rockstar

Oh yeah, by the way. Welding it on is the best thing you can do. Maybe find a friend or a even some farmer out in the country and they could weld it for you if you don't have one. Most farmers out here are really cool and wouldn't charge you much to weld it on. (Mostly because its a chevy!)