1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

exhaust drone

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by kingofthehill, May 6, 2008.

1. kingofthehill

kingofthehill New Member

Just trying to figure out what this drone is i"ve been reading about. I got magnaflow catback installed single in , dual rear exit on 04 sierra 1500 5.3 and love the sound but at 1600-2000 rpm it is really loud...or is this drone?...also on cruise control @ 110 km/hr and 2000rpm it holds a steady note which I'm not complaining about but just trying to figure out if its drone or the actual exhaust sound?
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

that would be the drone, a steady low tone at highway speed
  3. kingofthehill

kingofthehill New Member

so how do you get rid of it?
  4. kingofthehill

kingofthehill New Member

on another site drone is described as noise coming from the cabin...that if it sounds like its coming from the cabin its drone and if it sounds like its coming from the back its exhaust sound....at 110 km/hr and 2000 rpm it SOUNDS like its exhaust to me...it will hold a steady note at a steady rpm...any rpm..every rpm will have its corresponding sound....anyone else???
  5. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That pretty well describes the "drone" I had with true dual Flowmasters. As far as I know, the only cure is to get used to it or turn up the radio. Good luck!
  6. kingofthehill

kingofthehill New Member

I contacted magnaflow and they told me that I could not get rid of the drone but can only reduce it by putting in a bigger muffler or adding a second round muffler ahead of the one I have ...Anyone try this?

Not getting to much advice here
  7. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The "extra" muffler would probably help, as in years past a "resonator" was part of factory exhaust systems. I don' see why it should be ahead of the muffler though. Good luck.
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

magnaflow does make a resontor and i know alot of guys that do the tuner thing use them especially the guys that have ecotec cavaliers and it helps, thats all i got
  9. kf4wsn

kf4wsn New Member

Longer muffler Get a 18" or a 24" magna flow the standard option in most shops is the 14" they are louder the shorter you go I have a 14" on my V6 and a a 24" on my 6L V8 because of the AFM did not want to much sound when it kicks into V4 mode
  10. Chesley

Chesley New Member

i have been told to put the same materials on the floor as what they use for sound systems , I will be looking into it as i have a lot of drone inside the cabin with my flowmasters