1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust Idea

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by 98Hotrod98, Jun 15, 2011.

1. 98Hotrod98

98Hotrod98 Rockstar 100 Posts

I just want to get a sanity check on the exhaust system i'm pricing.

2.5inch True dual to a 14inch DI/DO magnaflow with turn downs right before rear axle.
    Moving the Muffler forward to the cab area to help with the scavenge effect of the built in Xpipe.

Price to install with parts $365.

Any thoughts?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well that isnt that bad. i know i just paid $250 for duals, from the cat back with 4in stainless tips.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Doesn't sound to bad. We all have found on this site that price varies from state to state and location. I would be more concerned about the quality and reputation of the shop.

4. 98Hotrod98

After calling a round a bit, it seems the avg price is $300.

Since this is large city, its sorta hard to get any idea on reputation, any particular questions i should ask to help identify a good shop? Back in my home town i would know exactly who to go too....

5. silveradotrailblazer

I would start with checking the local BBB and then if you see/hear a truck or car that looks like it has a aftermarket exhaust I would just ask the owner who did there exhaust and if they were happy with the job. You may want to check Jegs and Summit for there brand exhaust systems that are less money than the brand name companies. I think Hearthrob makes there kits.

6. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I assume it isnt to bad, from where I am from it would be cheaper but its who you know here :lol: The only thing I can advise is to watch so they dont do **** welding, like weld the bottom and not the top of the pipe :money:

7. 98Hotrod98

I just talked to Meineke, the guy there said i cannot go Dual in as it would void the mfg warranty.

He said GM has a one piece assembly from the manifold to the 3inch flange, and he would have to cut in at the Y pipe behind the cats to get true dual which would cause issues with my warranty. The guy went to on to tell me how customers have complained to him about dealerships screwing them over the situation and he personally wouldnt recommend doing it unless i was prepared to loose my warranty.

I understand about that aftermarket law that passed a little while back, but i had always been told you could do whatever you want as long as its behind the cats. The guy seems real knowledgeable about the situation, was i just misinformed before?

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Forget about what i just said, I just called my dealer and talked to the shop foreman. he said i can do whatever i want as long as i stay behind the cats. however my original exhaust warranty will be voided. ( i said, well no sh*t its gone. He said exactly, who cares )

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. silveradotrailblazer

The warranty is only voided on the parts you replace/take off. Sounds like the dealer service writter was being a di*k. Go talk to some dealers in person and see what they have to say. I lifted my truck when it was new and later had some A/C problems. The dealer fixed it under warranty as he said the lift wasn't the cause of the A/C problems. As long as you keep the cats in the original location I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I second what ChromeSilver said. There is a shop in my area that does exhaust work for a descent price. I looked at one of my coworkers trucks to see if I wanted to let them put an exhaust on my truck. I looked under his truck to see how it looked. The weld job was complete all the way around but it looked like a 2 year old welded it. It has been on his truck for almost 6 years with no problems. So I may go to them. He paid $250 for a single glass pack in and dual out. It sounds nice and looks nice if you are standing next to the truck.

10. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2, try & find someone who's had work done there & look at the quality of the welds & check if any of them are leaking.
    As for the "sanity check"? You're just as sane as the rest of us that are willing to spend lots of money cuz we like em louder, better, & faster:great: