1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

exhaust leak fix suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by texas99lb, Jul 20, 2009.

1. texas99lb

texas99lb Rockstar

hello guys, I have a pretty bad exhaust leak coming from my drivers side header. The last two bolts that attach the header to the head have broke off inside the head, I am pretty experienced with extracting bolts out of motors, but this one is a little bit more complicated, I am used to using a drill to drill a whole in the bolts and using an extractor to get it out, but my drill will not fit in the space givin, I was wondering what you guys would suggest I do to get these two bolts out so I can have a regular sounding truck..lol..right now its sounds like a really loud valve tick. I have attached a pic

last two header bolts are broke off inside head by firewall
    [​IMG]

any help is much appreciated
  2. morgan320i

morgan320i New Member

thats a dirty engine :p lol i have the exact same problem i tryed to get a tap in there no way it would fit
  3. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

try taking the manifold off and using some PB Blaster, a heat gun, and a set of vice grips to work the bolt lose.
  4. morgan320i

morgan320i New Member

i belive he posted like mine is also its broken off inside the head
  5. morgan320i

morgan320i New Member

vise grips cant touch it
  6. texas99lb

texas99lb Rockstar

I know when I opened the hood when I bought it I almost cried it was so filthy. Yeah the vice grip approach will not work they are about a 1/8" inside the head..I want to clean the motor but dont want to pressure wash it for the fear of messing up my electronics, I have heard steam cleaning works ok. I have plan on cleaning it but dont know how to or what to use. I guess a little elbow grease.

Have my eyes set on this..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just dont have 2300 dollars for it right now...
  7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the vice grips couldn't touch it if you removed the manifolds?
  8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if there is a jagged edge get a fine point punch and a hammer and try tapping the edge to unscrew it
  9. morgan320i

morgan320i New Member

my truck was the oposite had some dings here and there a mest up tailgate some ugly rims and tires but the motor was spotless i never have seen a used motor as clean as it was
  10. texas99lb

texas99lb Rockstar

Yeah I didnt get that lucky, this truck was used as an oil rig truck, so it was out in dirt all day, the body is in decent shape, there is a couple dings on it, but pretty clean other than that...I cleaned it up pretty good when I got it..The mud under the truck in pretty disturbing, but that will be taking care of. I guess my best bet with this issue is to either lift the motor so I have clearence or find a tiny angled drill that will fit in the given space, i have found one at a harbor freight tool store, I guess it is worth a try. Ill return it if it doesnt work. I really just dont want to have to take out the motor or remove the head for 2 damn broken studs, but the ticking noise is pretty annoying and I am sure my gas mileage isnt as good if it would fixed. I am willing to hear any other suggestions..Although I did get 600 miles to a full tank, I dont know if that is normal, but I was pleased..Filled it up from E for 75 bucks..