1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

exhaust leak?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mike 099, Feb 20, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. mike 099

mike 099 New Member

bought my silverado with a small exhaust leak anything to help it the guy said it has only three of the six bolts if i get the three other bolts will it go away please help
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If that's where it is leaking from, it should take care of the problem. Don't forget to get a gasket if it uses one (and needs it).
  3. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Where is it leaking from? Is it the manifold gasket?
  4. BoneHead

BoneHead New Member

If it's leaking from the manifold gasket, then you should be fine, but if it's leaking where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe going to the converter, there's a cheap fix. My dad did this on a 1969 Cutlass a few years back. He cut the bottom off a soda can and put it between the two pieces. Worked great as a gasket and was on the car when he sold it.
  5. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Whether the leak goes away or not, you really need the bolts, wherever they go. Bolts are nearly as important as punctuation.
  6. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Punctu what?:neutral:
  7. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !
  8. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

:lol:
    I bleeve that be them puckers ya see in Aint Selma Sue's big ol butt when she wears her favorite spandex walmart pants to choich.
  9. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

**thread moved here**\
  10. Josh

Josh New Member 100 Posts

regardless of the leak you will need a new gasket. when the gasket leaks from either lost bolts or loose bolts the gasket will be charred where the leak was and sometimes the gasket wil be blown out. the bolts are needed. make sure when u put em on that u dont overtighten them. snug but not tight. when u do itl mash the gasket and make leaks. do it evenly with a socket wrench buy feel unless u can get a tq wrench in there. should seal it up. felpro will do aswell