1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

exhaust leak

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Mar 27, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

hey guys, what the cheapest way to fix an exhaust leak?
    is it to just find a friend with a welder and have him seal it up?
    its about 8 inches before my muffler where the hanger is attached, real small hole, but i can hear the spattering.
    would you even consider fixing it or to just ignore it?
    thanks!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It really depends on why it's leaking.
    Is the pipe cracking or is it rusted out?
    If it's just a crack then the welder would probably be best but if you've got corrosion then you'll be better off replacing the pipe.
    I'm anal I'd fix it.
  3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Back in the day when I was broke I was known to cut a tin can in half and wrap it around the pipe and use a couple of old coat hangers to wire wrap it around the pipe. I will say it never lasted very long but it kept me from getting a loud exhaust ticket!!! LOL :lol:
  4. reggiecab2000

i honestly think its more due to corrosion :/
    but a whole pipe? yikes! i dont think its worth that much money... or is it?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How much would an excessive noise ticket cost? I've been to Corpus quite a few times so I know the Police there can be a little troublesome at times when regarding vehicle violations.
    You might be able to get away with just replacing a section but you wont know untill you get in there and get a look at it.
    The aluminium can method has worked briefly for me a time or two I just get tired of redoing the job, Muffler tape is cheap enough at the auto parts store too, but sooner or later ya gotta fix it the right way. Either way do something before you attract the wrong attantion and get a fine to go along with the repair cost.
  6. reggiecab2000

well it is only a tiny corroded hole it seems, is does not seem to be any louder than normal, or would i not be able to hear that difference? i definitely dont think im worried about any "excessive" noise, although your right i hate cops here lol
  7. Blazer454

Blazer454 New Member

I would just get down there with a welder and just cover up that hole. Is it on the factory pipe?
  8. The Heater

The Heater Member 100 Posts

If you can grind the metal to remove the rust, then find someone with a stick (arc) welder and have them weld it. Mig welders don't work well outdoors if that is where it will be done, due to the shielding gas getting blown away from the weld point. Yes, they can still weld if the gas is not there but it will spatter and the weld will be very ugly.
  9. reggiecab2000

yes it is on the factory pipe
  10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Have you tried looking up a reputable muffler shop and asking them about it? You might be able to get a referral from someone on here or just research it yourself. They may be able to do a cheap fix until you can replace the pipe. Just ensure they're reputable. Otherwise they may try selling you the whole shop for a small problem. I wouldn't let it go though. Particularly if it's due to corrosion, it's not going to get better as the months go on.