Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust Noise

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ippielb, Jan 5, 2010.

1. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So, i cut off my cats today, and now i hear as if i have an exhaust leak all the time when driving. i expected to be able to hear the flow of the exhaust, but it's pretty loud. Does everyone have this? I've tested the exhaust outside, there's no leaks. Welds are solid. Is this something i just have to deal with?

2. Shmeag

Shmeag Rockstar

I cut mine out and didnt really notice much change in the sound. Check if its leaking where the pipes bolt to the manifold. thats where mine cracked. If that isnt it just make sure everrything is really tight. And if thats not it sorry i couldnt be more help.

3. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

how does it sound other than the noise?ive been having problems with exhaust heat shields underneath the truck rattling pretty bad.its been driving me insane and i only hear it in the cab while driving.could that be it or are you positive it sounds like a leak?

4. ippielb

lol It's a leak thats for sure. There's two or three in my welding. Other then the leaks. Wow, does my truck sound good now. It's so much deeper. And it crackles(not really my forte but it still sounds great) on the way down from high RPM's. My check engine light never came on, and i got alot more power.

5. kwalls22

kwalls22 Rockstar

yeah i would say to check the welds over again and just move your hand around the weld without touchin the pipes of course and feel for the exhaust leak. I had a couple spots on mine that i missed when i welded my new muffler on my old suv and did this to find them then threw some simple little welds on it and it sounded good.

6. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

What does it sound like? Is a like a repetitive "ticking" that varies with engine RPM?

7. ippielb

How i know that they're leaks:

When i start it in the cold morning, there's exhaust pluming out from the new welds! Haha! Do you guys think JB 'ing it would work, because the places that are leaking there is no way i will weld up there.

8. roger97338

roger97338 Member

JBWeld works awesome on anything and everything. You already know that.