1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust Question ~ What would be louder?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ZRouse07, Feb 1, 2014.

1. ZRouse07

ZRouse07 New Member

Would running just a Y pipe dueled out would no muffler be louder than a single in dual out flowmaster 10 on a 2013 5.3?
  2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Yes... but will just be loud... will not have a tuned note.
  3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

A truck with no muff and a straight pipe sounds like someone beating on the top of an empty 55-gal. drum, just my opinion...
  4. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Quoted for truth!
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x3 on that. I ran no muffler on my 95 for a little while cause I did not have the cash to replace the old one. It popped and crackled, sounded like crap.
  6. Chevycoastie

Chevycoastie Member

Magnaflow

I would go with magnaflow instead of flowmaster. Flowmasters sounded great on 350's. Magnaflow will give you a better sound and it more of a performance exhaust.
  7. Kapelusprime

Kapelusprime Member

Love my Magnaflow cat back, almost a year later and it still sounds great!
  8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, while yer upside down in it with the lid on. Untuned straight pipes are a cop magnet too.
  9. RAV52202

RAV52202 Member 100 Posts

I would go with magnaflow as well. if you live in the rust belt flowmaster doesn't seem to last long. Deff. do not run with out muffler. They do sounds like crap. Running with out a muffler makes me feel like i'm riding in a crap box, and my truck doesnt run as well either. just my 2 cents.
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

A single glass pack on the 5.3 doesn't sound much better than the 55gal drum either IMO. X10 on the stainless muffler!