1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust rattling noise?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by BigMike2011, Nov 5, 2011.

1. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 New Member

I put a gibson dual exhaust on a couple months back and now when i start it up some times this awful rattling noise is so loud. Even when i first press the gas this noise comes and it finally goes away when my truck gets warmed up. I did a little research and some guys say its the heat shield on the cat but its a 2011 so crap like that shouldnt be goin on. I tightened down all the hooks and clamps on the gibson exhaust and even had it spot welded for security but i still hear this noise and its startin to piss me off cause people look when it rattles. Do any of yall have any ideas or diagnosis? im gettin ready to rip it off and just go without it.
    thanks guys
    michael
  2. MTM

MTM New Member

Only thing i could think of is if there is some type of baffe in the muffler.I used to have a truck that did the same and it was a baffel that turned loose in the muffler.Hope this helps.
  3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Is the exhaust all stainless steel, because my boyfriend has one from Magnaflow that rattles only at idle but once the truck is heated up it's fine. He ended up having the exhaust fully welded, because the clamps will only tighten so tight on stainless pipe.
  4. Greg84

Greg84 New Member

Try taking a rubber mallet under the truck and bang on the pipe in a couple different places to see if you can pinpoint where its coming from. My exhaust had a rattle and it ended up being that goofy band clamp they started using in 2009 at the front was sitting a little crooked and letting the exhaust rattle, found it after hitting the exhaust under the truck and hearing the same noise.
  5. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

Last time a bought a catback it was the heat shield, sounded almost like an empty tin can for an exhaust.
  6. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 New Member

ya it sounds exactly like running a stick on fence posts as your walking when it decides to rattle. im goin to get under there tomorrow and hit it with with some thin to see if its a clamp or a chamber is messed up in the muffler. and yes its stainless
    thanks guys
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Anyone who has ever had stainless steel knows that other than welding it, there is really no way to keep the clamps tight and rattle free. It's the nature of the beast, just wait till it gets real cold out and then you'll hear all kind of noise.
  8. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

Sticks run along fence posts...like tick tick tick tick?

Exhaust leak.