1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust shops

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by BurbanMan, Dec 10, 2013.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I love messing around with exhaust. Always have. That being said, I've decided to try and open my own muffler shop some day. My question for you guys is this: how did you learn how to bend the pipe? I plan on purchasing a small wire feed welder and pipe bender with taxes to start practicing. I've been told that I can purchase a card catalog type book that lists angles needed. Any help/advice would be appreciated
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

just gotta measure, layout where the pipe needs to go in your mind and make it happen. for me its intuition.
  3. BurbanMan

where does one purchase pipe from?
  4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

depends how much you need and what size. home depot, luckily though, I have a sheet metal show down the road from me. you could probably order it from home depot.
  5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

even some of the cheaper exhaust shops i see down here, all have those pipe end "flaring" machines, and automated pipe benders. but they are expensive as heck, but im sure if you get enough business going those expensive machines will pay for themselves
  6. BurbanMan

yeah. It's definitely not going to be an inexpensive commitment.
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Summit racing and jegs sell exhaust pipe cheap, I paid $14.00 for a 4 foot length of 3" aluminized exhaust pipe. They sell stainless as well, if your feeling adventurous.
  8. BurbanMan

ah ok. I'll give them a call and check out bulk pricing
  9. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I normally bend a piece of welding rod by hand into the general shape Im looking for and use it as my pattern.
    Look up wholesale metal suppliers for pipe, I use a national supplier named "Metal Market" for pipe stock.
    Plan of wasting a bit of pipe until you get the feel for pipe bending.
    A gas welder can be useful at times for heating pipe to produce some of the trickier bends.
    Also sand packed into a pipe with caps on the ends helps to stop from crimping or collapsing pipe while bending.
  10. BurbanMan

that's all great advice! Thanks a ton tb! I really appreciate all you guys chiming in to help me on my way! Thank you just doesn't cover it! 8)