exhaust suggestions

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by stumpaction, Aug 21, 2011.

1. stumpaction

stumpaction Rockstar

I've been shopping around lately for an exhaust system for my 06 2500HD w/ 8.1L. i found that Gibson has duals thats i want, and for a pretty good price. Anyone have any other suggestions? Sounds the best? Best Quality? What ever?

2. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I have the MBRP cat-back exhaust; decent price, it looks good and sounds great IMO. The tips angle out behind the rear tires though, not sure if you are in to that or prefer the straight out the back look.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 MBRP is a good kit. Exhaust is a personal thing. What sound you like others don't. I also would check out Banks exhaust. I like the Banks sound better than my Magnaflow, and its good quality and fit.

4. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I bought a 1 chamber muffler off ebay, a piece of pipe to adapt from the 2-3/4 exhaust pipe to the 3in inlet, a piece of 3in pipe with a 90 in it, and two clamps. I turned the pipe to exit just before the rear tire. I love the super aggressive sound, plus it doesn't resonate inside the cab.

5. Thumper

Thumper New Member

Any ideas on exhaust for a 2010 Silverado 1500, 4.8L? I have that new engine that goes from a V8 to a 4-cylinder on the highway.

6. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Best thing to do is go to youtube or some other video site and type in your truck and exhaust. Listen to the clips and see which exhaust you like the most.

7. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've heard that the active fuel management makes the exhaust sound like crap when it goes to 4 cyl. mode, but I can't confirm that from experience.

8. Thumper

Thumper New Member

That is also what I have heard. And I am really not trying to go buy an exhaust system, get on the highway and have it sound like a little rice burner, lol. I called a local shop and was told that there is an exhaust out there for active fuel management engine that sounds good in town but goes back to being quiet on the highway. I might look into that, but any ideas, suggestions and advice is still welcome.

9. bluavalancheZ71

bluavalancheZ71 New Member

Hey thumper, first things first, not trying to be a know it all but the 4.8L does not go into 4cyl mode, only the 5.3L does. 2nd look up corsa performance, they have a nice sounding exhaust for the price, its stainless, and has no drone on the freeway. I have it on my 5.3L that has active fuel management, and since the exhaust goes quoted at freeway speeds I have never noticed a ricer sound. And keep in mind the cylinders may not be firing but they're still pumping air.

10. kjones1129

kjones1129 New Member

I have a '11 Silverado LT Texas Edition 5.3L w/AFM. I had the cat-back MagnaFlow 3" Performance Muffler, 2 1/2" tailpipe, and 3 1/2" x 18" stainless tips installed... The sound is great, and I haven't noticed any "rice-burner" sound coming from my exhaust at highway speeds. I had heard this prior to having my system installed, and I am not at all unhappy with the sound I have achieved with the new exhaust. And I can definitely tell a positive performance difference over the stock exhaust. This is my 2 cents, I hope it helps...... :great: