Exhaust swap looking for idears

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by rileyjr16, Sep 9, 2013.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

So the other day I noticed that at certain RPMS and certain speeds I can hear my exhaust pipes rattling around. They sound like the welds aare breaking and at slow speeds, it gets annoying. So, later on (maybe not too far off) I will be changing my pipes and muffler. Wanting to go with something smooth sounding but aggressive like a flowmaster 44 or hell maybe even a 50 series dumped before or after the axle.

Fairly straight forward right? Well looking on opinions on exhaust pipe sizes and configurations.

First choice is 2 into 1 3" pipe to a single in dual out muffler.
    Second choice is 2 - 2 1/2"pipes to dual in dual out muffler.
    Third is 2 into 2 with a X pipe into dual in single out.

Right now I'm running dual 2 1/4" (yes smaller than stock) pipes to dual mufflers exiting behind the tires. Well the tips are getting chipped and beginning to rust. Might have access to a welder and I know I have access to clamps. And a vehicle lift.

So any opinions on which is the most efficient set up? Looking to hear other ideas as well.

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Does your truck currently have the dual or single catalytic converter setup? I don't recall what the 99 trucks have exactly.

3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Dual very crudely gutted by previous owners.

4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I'd say get new cats, and go with 2.75" piping. Your engine isn't big enough or making enough power to really need more than that after the collectors. It doesn't really matter if you have dual out or not, but if you're going to run dual all the way back, you should go with an X-pipe to balance the pulses, right after the cats.

On my truck, I'm probably going to end up going with 2.5" from the cats, combined into a 3" single pipe back to the muffler, then dual 2.5" out after that.

5. darnie1987

darnie1987 Rockstar 100 Posts

if your looking just for sound flowmaster is the way to go if you want a good sounding muffler that ads performance get something like a magnaflow, corsa, or borla. the flowmaster is a chambered muffler. yes they sound good but the chambers cause restrictions where the others i mentioned are a stright threw design