1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Exhaust Tube size ?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by death6283, Dec 14, 2010.

1. death6283

death6283 New Member

im getting a new exhaust system i was wondering what i should upgrade to for a 97 suburban K1500
  2. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Get a Magnaflow and then I'll trade you for my Flowmaster original 40 series.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Nothing over 3inches... the 5.7L tend to sound horrible with more than that as well as the loss in back pressure usually results in a loss in milage as well.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Agreed, especially if your going with duals.
  5. death6283

death6283 New Member

so would a 3 inch be the best or is that just the biggest you would recommend going?
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Wtih duals i would go with 2 1/2in and with a single i would run with a 3in... You need to maintain some backpressure.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Even if you run it after the y pipe? Like one into a muffler and out two. I don't understand decreasing from 2.75 to 2.5 inch pipes.
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Dead, Are you planning on installing headers on your burb? Now? Next year? Sometime in the next several years maybe? Exhaust systems last forever in sunny So Cal so you might want to plan ahead & size your pipes now for the headers that are in your future :) I'm just sayin... Many go with the cat back sys first & then decide a short time later that they want headers & have to redo the exhaust all over again, & it's expensive doing it that way..