exhaust

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by gmmechanic, Jun 20, 2012.

1. gmmechanic

gmmechanic New Member

i got a 2004 Silverado with a 5.3 liter i already have a custom exhaust done but now the muffler is leaking and i am not sure if i should replace the muffler or get the seam re welded and if im going to replace what kind of muffler should i get i already have a flowmaster and i liked it but i would like louder and it only lasted 2yrs before it rotted out any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. RallySTX

RallySTX Member 100 Posts

Cut it out and weld in a glasspack.
    Brian L.

3. gmmechanic

gmmechanic New Member

will a glass pack give a clean sound

4. RallySTX

What do you mean by clean? You said you want more nooise, glass pack, or cherry bomb will give that, without the return rap of open pipes.
    Brian L.

5. gmmechanic

gmmechanic New Member

thats what i am looking for what i meant by clean was loud without the sound of leaky or non muffled exhaust.

6. RallySTX

Does your custom exhaust still have the catalytic converter installed? If so you might like just adding another piece of pipe, it will be loud, but as long as the original cat is there, and the system goes over the rear axle and to the rear bumper as per stock, it will be nice. If no cat is there, you might consider adding that instead of a muffler. The cat will keep you immisions legal, and allow you to run without a muffler. Hope I didn't confuse you, and good luck.
    Brian L.

7. gmmechanic

gmmechanic New Member

my cats are still there i only did a muffler and then split it into a duel but the cats are in place

8. RallySTX

Sounds good then, all you need is to decide is how much rumble you want. Me I like to hear my engine all the time. That's why I talked about straight pipes. Some don't like the highway drone so they opt for Magnaflow. Everyone says they are the best. I did mine with what I could afford to get. And when it came to the 83 pickup, I went straight to the rear bumper, and it was great. Best of luck to ya.
    Brian L.